Monday, October 24, 2022

No One Gets Out Alive (2021)

October Challenge Day 17

I was pretty surprised that I had never heard of this movie earlier OR the book the film is based on. Admittedly, I'm really behind on my horror novels.... but! I loved the trailer - so let's check out: 



Oh goodness, this one dives right into the complicated and heartbreaking world of immigration - and the very, very, very vulnerable place some immigrants (particularly if they arrive without all the proper documentation) experience. 

Here we have a young woman who is just trying to start a new life after her mother passes. She has a chance with a distant cousin to secure a great job but she's low on funds, the sweat shop just fired her, and worse still, she's living a very precarious house that she shares with two unnerving men.

This one takes turns I never saw coming - and it straight up startled me. In fact, now I want to read the book!

A deep-seeded menace is lurking in every corner of this haunting Victorian home. I found myself sitting with an anxious heart for our young woman who is getting so close to her goals.... and by the very end I was all "WTFFFFFFFF? Was That!?" I'm sure you will too. 

In all, a solid creeper that calls on some folk horror themes. Folk horror, damn stuff gets me every time... So Unsettling!

Best watched on a dark night, alone. Pairs with a bottle of warm beer and sad snacks. 

I watched this film on Netflix or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can see this Religions Gone Wild of a show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment