Monday, October 24, 2022

The Last Thing Mary Saw (2021)

October Challenge Day 20

I was drawn to this film by its poster image. I rather like it.  So, I said "Why not" and I walked into this one blind.

*See what I did there? lololol

No seriously, I was intrigued by this film because of the poster image but had no idea what I was getting myself into. It's a lot. Let's take a dive into: 



Here we have a very religious family in the 1840s, living in a large house in a remote and isolated area. 

What could possibly go wrong????

Uh oh. Let's tack on a lesbian romance between the maid and the daughter of the family....

I repeat, what could possible go wrong????

Oh, just about everything. 

This is a chilling and foreboding film that will require your full attention the entire time. I had to rewind several times because I looked away for a second. I also spent a majority of the film just raging. Rage, rage, rage. That feeling of being targeted for just being born a certain way - and the judgement and punishment inflicted by religious leaders and family members was physically enraging. SEE ALSO THE ROE v WADE TURNOVER RAGE THAT STILL SEEPS FROM MY PORES. Oh Oh Oh! SEE ALSO IRANIAN WOMAN RAGE RIGHT NOW.

Fuck off misogynists, bigots, homophobics, so-called Christians that don't demonstrate one Christ-like quality.

Anyway, so yeah, this film can tap into some justifiable rage that is present today. In this film, however, the prices paid by all are steep and violent. 

Poetic, menacing, passionate, and raw - this is not a film for all horror fans but it certainly is a horror film that speaks loudly on religious zealots and hypocrisy and the monsters created therein. 

I watched this film on Shudder or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this slow burn, heady film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment