Thursday, October 1, 2020

50 Horror Movies You May Have Missed (vol. 6)

Welcome to the sixth annual mega list of movies you may have missed! Hurrah for more movies, movies and lists!


So, without further ado and to welcome in this year's October Challenge, I present:

50 Horror Movies You May Have Missed (vol. 6)
Because there will be more. Oh yes, there will be more.


A Shriek in the Night (1933):  I have a soft spot for quirky, fast-talking, classics. This one is no exception, however it did surprise me with the quality plot and execution. I found it legitimately fascinating and entertaining. A perfect fit for a quiet night in alone or with one witty friend as company. Pairs with fancy drinks you'd have at a work lunch. 



Alone With Her (2006): It took some time to really get into this Spanish found footage film, but once I got sucked in I got really sucked in. Wholeheartedly terrifying and invasive, this creeptastic creep of a man crawls under your skin and lives there for long after the film ends - doing it all for "love". Ugh, this is a disturbing feature. Pairs with living your best life until you run into that one person who destroys everything while you're not looking, and perhaps some soup.


Baby Blood (1990): New French Extremity and I have a beef with each other, we both love and hate each other - none of which should be a surprise with fans of New French Extremity. So of course a French film would tell the story of a woman who had an evil creature crawl into her womb - demanding control and blood. Naturally, things get very weird, very gross, and very disturbing right quick. I think I said "Jesus F*cking Christ" several times. This could be because I never wanted children and imagine this film portrays the mental and emotional experience. Pairs with dingy rooms, a sink piled with a week's worth of dishes, and a fly-covered plate of food.

The Beast Must Die (1974): A mysterious whodunit - but with werewolves! I saw someone on IMDB call this film "Great escapism" and I totally agree. It's a different take on the werewolf tale while being a little grindhouse and a little Hammer horror. Fun but also slow, shocking but also not - this is a raunchy film for a random movie night. Pairs with fancy dishes and fancy clothes.  



Best Worst Movie (2009): This documentary looks at the making of the outrageous Troll 2, and it's aftermath. Charming and heartwarming doesn't even begin to properly describe this film. It's also incredibly funny! Best watched after a bad day or when you feel like you're failing at life (you're not). You must watch Troll 2 first, however. Pairs with a best bud and maybe some bud. 

The Boneyard (1991): I stumbled across an image of one of the creatures in this film and I knew I had to hunt it down and watch it pronto. Come for a comedic and absurd visit to this film's mortuary, but stay for the outstanding creatures and practical effects. There's a poodle in this film that will knock your socks off. Paris with just about anything, anytime. I need to add this one to my own personal movie collection.


 Castle Freak (1995): A seriously disturbing film. I first starting watching it years ago and about 15 minutes in I turned it off, feeling gross and promising myself to finish it when ready. The time came when I watched it with the help of Joe Bob Briggs and the Last Drive-In team. This is also how I recommend watching it - if it's your first time experiencing this legitimate nightmare of a movie.




Come to Daddy (2019): The movie is just as cringy as the title. Set in a claustrophobic home, despite the isolation and wilderness, father and son sit down for a chat  after a long separation. Things get wild, uncomfortably funny, and brutal in no time. Pairs with parental figures, mismatched furniture, and drinks in glasses from the 1970s.


Don't Open Till Christmas (1984): An unusual and odd little British horror film, here we have the story of men dressed as Santa being slaughtered by an unknown assailant. Slow and with a hint of film noir, this is a good one for hungover days - particularly after a holiday party.

Dr. Giggles (1992): I have no good explanation why this film is so fun. It's uncomfortably entertaining and gloriously ridiculous. What could possibly go wrong when a psychopath think he's a medical doctor and starts to "operate" on unsuspecting victims? Everything! That all said, there's also enough legitimate horror to leave you with plenty of creeps. Best watched after healing from an accident or operation. Pairs with doctor's orders. 


Dude Bro Party Massacre III (2015): Funded by Kickstarter, this little hilarious gem of gortastic glory is a must watch for fans of comedy horror. No, there aren't two earlier films but that's also part of the fun and you'll see why when you check it out for yourself. Witty and actually funny, naturally this one pairs with friends, beer, and more beer.

Edge of the Axe (1988): There's an axe-wielding murder on the loose in a small rural town. Two computer nerds are on the hunt to find out who it is and stop the killing once and for all. Not only is this film ridiculously quotable it's also entertainingly outrageous - but in a fun and smart way. Don't let this slashic slip through your horror hands. 


Excision (2012): Gross, heartbreaking, and very disturbing, this film and the actors feel like they all just walked out of a smokey bog in the middle of the night - for no other purpose but to punch you in the gut or face, and leave you with a stench in the back of your throat and a heart ache you'll never forget. Read more in my review here

Follow (2015): Not a film for all horror lovers, but certainly a good pick for those who enjoy very slow mind f*cks. Unsettling and gun-wrenching, this might not be a good movie pick after a breakup but probably a nice choice if you're looking for an unsettling feature to quietly settle into.


The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (1987): I really don't have anything *good* to say about this film but *I am* saying that you really need to see this extraordinary work of "art" at least once. You'll probably need a few drinks before, during, and after the film to help process this experience. 

Gaslight (1944): Heart pounding and maddening, this classic is a must not miss. Here we have an upcoming opera star leave her career for love, a love that has other plans for his new bride. Horrifying and thrilling, this one pairs with a long dark night alone. Be sure to keep at least one light on and make sure the bulb is screwed on tight.


Girly (1970): If you're not sure what to watch but you're looking for something psychopathic, this might be a good choice! Here a family of four kidnaps unsuspecting people and forces them into a 'game'. Things get ugly if you don't want to play... Probably not a good pick for something to put on in the background, as it's just so strange, but likely a good choice for a hangover day. Pairs with childhood snacks and sweet juice drinks. 

The Greasy Strangler (2016): I am a huge fan of the macabre and art house horror, the more dysfunctional and weird the better. This is very much macabre art house horror - I'm stressing because that style is not for everyone. It's also very, very, very funny, so let's throw that little spice to an already cracked out film. Watch with someone you can randomly yell "Bullshit artist!" to.


Habit (1995): Absolutely extraordinary! I can not stress this enough! It's not a love story, because it's about vampires and they don't love anyone but themselves, but it is harrowing, intense, and completely engrossing. Atmospheric and visceral, this film will suck the life out of you and you'll like it. Pairs with lots of booze and best watched in an empty room after everyone has destroyed the place and left the party.

The Head Hunter (2018): From the very first moments I knew this was going to be a visceral film. AND I LOVED IT. Quiet, threatening, and physical, this movie reached out of the screen and made me smell the hero's nasty home, touch his collection of weapons, and feel his battle experience. Watch with Vikings and Game of Thrones fans.


The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923): I watched this film after watching the 1936 version and, while both good, I thoroughly enjoyed the silent film more. Admittedly, a little long (over two hours), Lon Chaney is so memorizing the time generally flies right by. It's a classic that should be seen at least once. 

Imprint (2007): You had me at a South Dakotan ghost story! Great for a quiet evening alone or with an intimate group, I highly recommend checking out this phantom. It's haunting on multiple levels and I'm saying that as a South Dakotan and appreciator of quality ghost stories. Read more in my review here.


In the Bedroom (2001): My friends and I have a saying when we see or say something that is both beautiful and repulsive: "Thanks. I hate it." That was my reaction to this horribly beautiful film. It wasn't on my radar for a long time despite it's critical acclaim - likely because one probably wouldn't consider it "horror". I also have a saying to those situations: "If it gives you nightmares, it's a horror story". This one gave me nightmares. 

Junk Bonds: The Return of Junkbucket (2013): This one has been on my To-Watch list for years only because I met someone at a cocktail party who was part of the making of this film (and the predecessor, Junkbucket). I had put off watching it for so long because I really couldn't imagine it was going to be so good. Let that be a lesson, me. This is the spoofy phallic slasher you never knew you needed to know.


Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973): Haunting and bizarre, this film is a curious look into the dreamy yet nightmarish landscape of the coming-of-age and the supernatural. Here a young woman takes a lonely journey though the dark unknown world in search of her father. She finds instead, creatures, horrible humans, and ... herself. Best watched alone or with one other person. Pairs with your childhood blanket and broken plates of unrecognizable food. 

The Lodge (2019): This psychological slow-burner pulled some some top tier psychological mind-melts, in my book. I was legitimately not okay for a little while after watching it - and I watched it in the middle of a Saturday afternoon while cross-stitching. Best watched alone, on a cold day. Pairs with empty pantries. 


Lolly-Madonna XXX (1973): This crime drama classic will likely catch most people off guard. Not only is the title somewhat confusing (it all makes sense early on in film, trust me) but the film is also incredibly spooky and chilling. It's a giant cringe binge casserole. Best watched with frienemies and on rough, wood furniture. Moonshine a must.

The Manster (1959): This is one of my most favorite 1950's creature features! Although derpy at times, it's also incredibly engaging and the man to monster transformation can lead to hours of philosophical debates. With a mad scientist and a wisecracking wise guy, all wrapped up in an exotic and original story line, this is certainly one that would be perfect for your late night black and white classic evenings. 


Mom and Dad (2017): Ah, I have a feeling this movie might have been inspired by a parent ... a very, very, very stressed out parent. It's gory, wrong - all sorts of wrong - and funny. Funny in an American Psycho sort of way. Not a film for all horror fans and one might even argue it's a little too slow or weird, but I enjoyed it and suggest it be seen at least once. Might be best to not watch this one after a stressful day with the kids.

The Mutilator (1984): This one is a doozy - a slashic of course - but still a doozy. The film kicks off with a little kid accidentally killing his mother and almost immediately runs wild with teens being hunted by a manic. Folks, there is one specific kill scene in this film that is beyond explanation. Watch this film *just* to see that scene, if you think you can handle it. Best watched with friends and in your parent's basement. Pairs with your favorite trashy food.


Mystery Mansion (1983): I have such fond, fond memories of this movie as a child. Every time I re-watch it, now as a 40 something grizzled horror fan, I can't seem to understand what about this film left such an impression. I kept remembering there were ghosts. There are no ghosts. I also seem to conveniently forget there are bumbling thieves through most of the film (why do I keep forgetting this?). I recommend watching it at least once though because there's an honesty and innocence that even if you too are an early 40's grizzled horror fan, I think your kids should check it out at least once. 


Neighborhood Watch aka Deadly End (2005): There's a scene in this film that involves a lot of poop. Like, an ungodly amount - and that's the image I'm going to leave you with regarding this film. It's truly a strange, cold, and unsettling film. Is it good? Still debatable, but I can guarantee you won't forget the poop scene! Pairs with a cold sweats, disgusting sandwiches, and stained mattresses on the floor. 


Night of the Living Deb (2015): With a few exceptions, I do not like romance comedies - I think I like about maybe three. Every once and a while though, one creeps into my heart... Well written, succinct, warm and hilarious (the plowing through zombies in a beater car was ridiculously entertaining), I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Read more in my review here.

Our House (2018): For some ungodly reason I decided to watch this film on Father's Day morning. Not sure I would recommend doing that going forward. This is a ghostly, heartbreaking story about a young man who's trying to 'bring back' the dead, in way. Be careful of what you wish for - you might just get it. Not exactly "scary" but the film will stick to your bones. Pairs with favorite childhood snacks.


Possession (1981): There are very, very few films that disturb me so much I vow never to watch them again. This is one of them. I can't handle another viewing but if you're looking for a head trip that is going to f*ck you up good, then look no further than this one. It's just a little tale about marital discord, it's fine. Best watched prepared - no just kidding, you can't be prepared for a film like this.

Prom Night II (1987): Folks, I enjoyed this one more than the original. You know who don't want coming back from the dead with revenge on the mind? The high school mega bitch, that's who - and yet, here we are! This is a slick supernatural slasher that doesn't care what you think of it one way or the other. Fast, fun, and furious, it's a great pick for a salty night with friends. Pairs with cheese and tiaras. 


Pyewacket (2017): If you liked Starry Eyes and Neon Demon then I think this might be the moody Goth girl you're looking for. This story takes angsty teen a little too far and you might need a hot shower afterwards. Slow, creepy, dark, and menacing - it's a reminder to not call up what you can't put down. Watch with mother figures after a day of pampering and not talking about the serious things you need to talk about. 

Q aka The Winged Serpent (1982): I wasn't expecting much when I first turned this film on. I WAS WRONG. What I thought was going to be a cheesy '80s creature feature quickly turned into a roller-coaster of gore, mayhem, and brutality. It's also incredibly sharp - witty and fast paced. Bonus: giant ancient flying creature! Pairs with alcohol straight out of the bottle and egg dishes. Best watched on lazy afternoons alone or nights with friends.


Queen of Earth (2015): This quiet, slow-burning nightmare revolves around two friends who decide to retreat into a summer cabin. The monsters that attack them on their visit are themselves. It's a difficult one to watch, physically and emotionally invasive for a variety of reasons, but worth at least one viewing. Pairs with cans of beers with cigarette butts in them and grudges. Read more in my review here.

Razorback (1984): An Australian classic that had been on my to-watch list for years. I was so excited when I finally got a hold of a copy and even more excited when I wasn't the slightly bit disappointed! The air of this film felt a lot like Pumpkinhead (which I LOVE), so tuck that in your pocket. Honestly, you can't go wrong with a giant boar roaming the Australian outback, slaughtering anything in it's way. Scary, exciting, and well done - this is a great one for pizza and snack-filled Saturday night.


Revenge (2017): I don't often gravitate to revenge-focused films but this one grabbed a hold of me right away and before I knew it, I was dragged across a barren desert in this breathtaking and violent bloodbath of a ride. This film has also topped my charts in recommendations for nearly any horror fan who's looking for something new. Here we have a fling between two people that went terribly, horribly wrong in the middle of nowhere. Pairs with suckers and a rich French dish. 

Rillington Place (2016): This television min-series is bone chilling. Made worse that it's based on actual serial killer John Christie and the murders at his home ... 10 Rillington Place. I felt gross watching it and needed a shower afterwards. Best watched on a stormy day. Pairs with filthy surroundings and an English breakfast. 


Shirley (2020): I might be a little biased here, considering I have an unhealthy obsession with author Shirley Jackson, but when I saw the poster for this movie I just about sh*t a brick. Elisabeth Moss, I would like to personally thank you for your portrayal and channeling the late great Shirley Jackson. The plot follow's Jackson in her turbulent and challenged life as she's writing a new book. This is not so much a "horror" movie as it is about a horror author in a horrible life. This movie both nailed historically accurate elements and lovingly extracted the intensity from all of Jackson's scary stories. Pairs with drinks precisely at 5:00 PM and existential dread. 

Side Effects (2013): A suspenseful thriller that will drag you through the ringer. Here we have a depressed young woman trying out a new medication. The side effects were unexpected and also unfold a mystery that certainly surprised me by the end. Stressful and mind-boggling, this is a great pick for a stormy day in a quiet setting. Pairs with dixie cups of water and family-sized dinners. 


Splatter Farm (1987): First of all - this is a really terrible film. It's really bad but it's also so mesmerizing and bad that you can't look away and more alarming still, you won't forget it. It's an *experience*. The premise: two young men move out to a farm to live with their aunt. Everything goes wrong and taboos are crossed everywhere. A must see for anyone who want to call themselves horror aficionados. Pairs with WTFs?

Spookies (1986): I was so charmed by this bizarre feature that I watched the making-of video that came with my DVD rental. I developed even more respect for this film after watching the documentary. It's so strange it's enjoyable right down to the farting basement swamp monsters. Ghosts, warlocks, strange wandering children, monsters, and more - this film isn't sure what it is, but I can say it's entertaining. I also highly recommend checking out the making-of video. Pairs with chips and a load of dip. 


Thriller (2018): This film is getting way too many punches on IMDB, an unnecessary amount of punches. Sure it's a little cheesy but I seriously don't see how it's any more cheesy than I Know What You Did Last Summer. I really enjoyed this film, and it legit pulled a fast one on me by the end. Fun, quirky, and with a mystery killer on the loose, I found it to be a nice pick for a lazy Saturday afternoon. 

TerrorVision (1986): Oh lordy, this one is so campy you might as well just bust out the tents, coolers, and firewood and stay awhile. Here we have a quirky family who just so happens to have a television that communicates with aliens. Things only get more side-splitting from there. Utterly ridiculous and super fun, this is a must for a night were you just need all of the 80's in your face. All over your face. Pairs with food that would be served at swinger parties. 


We Have Always Lived in the Castle (2018): I might be a little biased here, considering I have an unhealthy obsession with author Shirley Jackson, but when I saw a movie was made based on her last book I already knew I was going to love it (even if it was bad). This film is not bad although it has a distinctly different feel from the book. Regardless! It's still very Jacksonesk, which means it's not for everyone and those who get it - GET IT. Those who don't, really don't. Quiet but threatening (not unlike our dear Merricat here...) it's a good one to snuggle up to on a rainy day.

Who Can Kill A Child (1976): YIKES! This one starts off with a breezy trip through the Spanish country side and ends with nightmares your instincts won't understand. Moody, atmospheric, and totally unsettling this film is not for every horror fan but if you're a Long Weekend fan then I think you should certainly check it out. Pairs with tapas and no children around. Best watched with your travel buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment