Tuesday, October 20, 2020

What's the Matter with Helen? (1971)

October Challenge Day 20:

I've always been a fan of the Psycho-Biddy, or sometimes called (and I prefer), Grande Dame Guignol horror/thriller sub genre. As with most people, my complete fascination was kicked off with What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, and some will argue the subgenre is making a comeback with such films as Greta and Ma

So I knew exactly what I was in for when I put on:

What's the Matter with Helen?

Although the subgenre is mystifyingly memorizing and predictable (to a point), there is something that is just so *specific* and mysterious that it will still hold plenty of surprises. Such as the case with this film.

Here we have two women who's sons committed a horrible murder together. These mothers' lives are understandably upturned and they bond over the chaos. So what do they do after this terrible madness? They girl bond, run away and start a new life together. This should be the start of some massive good power in themselves, but oh no folks, this is Grande Dame Guignol - loosing everything and getting older is the bane of their existence for these stories. 

Speaking as a woman in her 40's getting a divorce - yeah, I totally understand the maniacal laugh found in these films. I [touches nose] see you [downs a shot of booze, wipes face, continues typing].

Overall this is a film for fans of the psycho-biddy fans, they know who they are and they understand its awesomeness. That's it. In fact, there's a Psycho-Biddy Fan Group on Facebook which is nearly 6K people strong and regularly in discussion. If you don't want to be part of the fan group but looking for more movies, I got you.

Pairs with gin and your most FABULOUS clothes. Best watched in a turbulent but great looking home.

I rented this film from Scarecrow Video, or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can find this *dancing* feature.  

No comments:

Post a Comment