Monday, October 26, 2020

A Field in England (2013)

October Challenge Day 26:

Yet another film that has been on my To Watch list for *years* but I've been avoiding it because I suspected it might irritate me. 

And irritate me it did! In the art house horror way I knew in my deep, dark, horror loving art house heart, was there. Let me introduce you to the experimental and wind-tossed:

A Field in England

I actually started watching this one over five years ago - and 3 minutes in I was all "Not today, Satan". Films like these often require a very specific time, mind set, and place, to fully appreciate the art that went into it's full creation. You need to create a 'museum-like' atmosphere, for lack of better words, because trust me you're going to see some sh*t that will baffle, delight, and require your full attention.

Here we have a small handful of soldiers deserting a battle during England's civil war. War weary and near broken, one of them mentions there's a pub not far from their current location. A pint sounds delightful to all and they head on their way. 

Already absurdist the sick, dry humor is settling in - things get more sick and truly bizarre when an alchemist is conjured up, kidnaps the crew and demands they dig for suspected treasure in the field, all while everyone is tripping balls on psychedelic mushrooms. 

Obviously, the seriousness of the film is in the allegory - which some could argue is about power, money, control, pride, masculinity, historical context of England during the time, etc. While these arguments could last hours, the film is also a visual, visceral, piece of work. It's the visuals that irritated me the most. Irritated in a good way, art creating a response. 

The film, also in black and white, reminded me a lot of 1995's Dead Man. I loved that film, LOVED IT, so if you also like Dead Man then I think you'll get a kick out of this one, as it shares so many similar qualities. 

Overall, absolutely not a film for everyone, but a film for those who are ready to dive deep into realms we'd often rather not talk about. 

Pairs with mutton soup, mushrooms, and ale. Best watched alone or in a small group during a wind storm. 

I watched this film on the Roku channel, or use the Find it! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this trippy feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment