Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Wake In Fright aka Outback (1971)

October Challenge Day 7:

10 minutes into this film and I was already scared - scared of the hell that was undoubtedly heading my way with this scorching nightmare.

Words really can't describe the Australian masterpiece that is: Wake In Fright


OH THE NIGHTMARES, FOLKS! I was not prepared for this film but I knew it was going to get ugly, very ugly, and oh did it. 

I swear I could smell this film. 

Smell it. 

Still shuddering. It's so intensely visceral - by the end I felt like I just had a three all day drinking binge with the worst company possible...

Here we have the story of a stressed one room school teacher in the Australian outback who is just trying to get back to his girl in Sydney during the Christmas break. A transfer spot at one of the most remote towns in Australia leads us all to a three day nightmare that repeatedly punches so many places in the psyche that I am now officially out of words. 

You can feel the scorching outback heat. *FEEL IT* You can feel the sweat, the nihilism, the stench of stale beer, the chaos, and you will most certainly feel everything about the kangaroo hunt... (fair warning friends, it's a real hunt and it's incredibly difficult).

UGH. This one is so terrible. So terribly good and now I need a long, hot shower. 

Pairs with beers. Way, way, way, way too many beers. Watch with trusted friends, or maybe your drinking buddies. Wait. Maybe not your drinking buddies. 

I watched this film on Shudder, or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this fabulous feature. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment