Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Bats (1999)

October Challenge Day 27: 


OH SAINTS PRESERVE US - I LOVE LOVE LOVE:

Bats

How in the world did this film escape my knowledge for this long?!?!?!?!?! I had actually started it a few months ago but turned it off after the opening scene where two teen lovers are taken out by a colony of flying creatures. The scene was so epic and unexpected that I wanted to wait until I could truly appreciate the experience (by not vacuuming and doing dishes).

OMG I love this film

I mean, just get a load of this particular creature!!


LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Seriously folks, the bats in this film are 100% worth checking out. Not only are they funny at times, but they are also alarmingly weird, uncomfortable, and legitimately a little terrifying in a weird, uncomfortable, and a little terrifying sort of way. How this film isn't mentioned in cult classics along side Tremors and Gremlins more often is beyond me. I'll try to stir up some better recognition though. For instance, there is a battle in the town square that blew my mind. I was left speechless but so entertained I think I actually clapped a little bit. 

Bonus! It stars Lou Diamond Phillips, who plays a wise-cracking, small town sheriff and he does it so well I was delighted to read in IMDB that he ad-lipped many of his character's parts. 

Fun fun fun fun - dated, a little, in the characters ... but fun fun fun fun fun!

Premise: genetically mutated bats are on the loose in quaint, little Gallup, TX. 

That's all you need to know! Now run for your lives!

I don't think I can stress enough how entertained I was by this film. Not entertained by the "cheapness" but rather by it's quality. It's good. It's running on typical and somewhat generic material, but there's a clever effort here and it shows. I think it helps that nearly all of the bats are *not* CGI. 

Overall, I legit enjoyed this movie and look forward to watching it again. It has skyrocketed to the top of my favorite '80 - '90s creature features. 

Best watched in a fun setting (perfect for a Halloween night with the right family, for instance) or movie binge night with friends. Pairs with comfort foods, a cigar, and western attire. 

I watched this film on Amazon Prime, or use the Find it! Watch it! links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can find this howler of a fun feature. 

1 comment:

  1. How cool, I completely agree. I saw this film at the cinemas when I was 15 or so and loved it, and wondered why it wasn't more popular. Simple, pleasant, creature feature brilliance with a cookey edge.

    ReplyDelete