Sunday, October 30, 2016

Creature Feature Double Feature: Ghoulies (1984) and Ghoulies II (1988)

October Challenge Day 29:

When I saw this two movie disk sitting on the shelf at Rain City Video I just knew what had to happen. I had to have another Saturday night creature feature double feature.

This was the evening for the costume parties and late night out shenanigans, but we stayed home, took a bath, cooked up some chili and settled into a cozy evening of little demons crawling out of the toilet.

What can one say about Ghoulies or Ghoulies II ...

Well ...


I saw one IMBD post that stated if you've seen the cover image for this film then you can pretty much surmise what this film is about and it's quality. This is a true statement.

I saw most of the first film about ten years ago, and I can confidently say after seeing it again that I missed nothing and yet, and yet, everyone wins with a Saturday movie night at home with these devilish demons.

My husband, belly full of chili, promptly fell asleep on the couch about 20 minutes into the film. I managed to stay wake by sitting up in the recliner ... until the second film. I didn't make it through the second film this evening.


Folks, these films are kitchy and time "well spent". By this I mean: you'll not exactly kick yourself for spending a Saturday night in with these films, but you may question some life choices after the laughter stops. Maybe. I didn't, totally, but still you might.

In all seriousness - these films, all about accidentally conjuring up menacing little beings (isn't that how it always happens?), are probably best seen with a group of friends. Make it an evening full of laughter, cheekiness, cheep beers, and some great tasting chili. My Husband left me alone with these things and it wasn't as fun as when I can share the camp with company other than the cats.

Still glad I picked these films for this year's Creature Feature Double Feature, though. I'll resume Ghoulies II right after the Sunday football games. If anything amazing happens in the second film then I'll be sure to update this post. Otherwise, and in the mean time, know that these films are certainly something to experience at least once. They are ... special.

I rented this movie from my local video store (Rain City Video). Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's sidebar to see where else you can find these silly, entertaining, not entertaining, but still entertaining features.

No comments:

Post a Comment