Tuesday, October 4, 2016

What We Do In The Shadows (2014)

October Challenge Day 4:

Came home from the office today and decided at the last minute to stop off and grab a happy hour beer, eat some food, and watch an hour or so of LOL cat videos.

Happy hour came to a close, decided that was enough hilarity for the time being, paid my tab, packed up the left-overs and began to walk out of the pub.

I was in my office outfit (slacks, nice shirt, etc) in a sports bar, making my way to the door when halfway through exiting the place my shoulder bag strap broke. KERPLUNK - this big old hip-level monstrosity and all it's contents plummeted to the cement floor. It seemed like hours that I just stared at this bag and it's contents on the ground thinking:

"...do ...  do ... I  ... just *carry* it now...?"

For over 20 years I've slug a bag over my shoulders. Never in my life do I recall carrying anything that resembled a briefcase for more than a minute. I picked up everything, held my head high, grabbed the "emergencies only" handle at the top of the bag, marched out the door, and proceeded to walk the near mile home - carrying my bag like a briefcase hero (although I felt like an absolute idiot).

Image result for Animals Walking Fail Gif

It was right about this time that I received a text from a best friend highly recommending the mockumentary What We Do In The Shadows. Coincidentally, I had just rented this film a couple days ago the for the specific purpose of reviewing it during my October Challenge! For nearly a year now this movie has come highly recommended to me from several different sources. 

I took this text, during a time when I was telling myself: "You don't look like an idiot carrying this briefcase bag, you don't look like an idiot carrying a briefcase bag" as a sign it was time to finally see this reported marvel of a mockumentary. Not only that but it's about a bunch of 100 + year old vampires trying to adjust to the modern world. I'm a 37 year old woman and could barely adjust to the fact that my bag turned into a briefcase. The time was ripe to watch this film.

So here we go! I'll see you after the film!*************

Oh My Word!!

LOVE THIS FILM!


So so so so smart, sharp, jam-packed with gallows humor, and a hilarious joy ride for horror fans and those who are not entirely horror fans.

Personally, they won me over when the vampires first ran into a pack of werewolves (nearly West Side Story style). Note - it got more interesting when they ran into the werewolves later...

Here we have a documentary crew (not exactly found footage) recording the "day-to-day" of four vampires living together. The dramas of assigning chores, dating, friends, living in the 21st Century, living with the living, etc., all relayed with wit, charm, and in a bloody mess.

This is a hilarious, well done, rather brilliant film. LOVED IT.

Watch with a group of smarty pants or anyone who spent too much time in the Goth clubs. Pairs with tea cups (what's in them ... questionable), raw meat, and anything that brings a bunch of enemies together.

This was in fact one of the best films to see after the silly little day I've had. I suggest plugging this one in for anyone who needs a laugh after a serious, not serious day.

I rented this movie from my local video store (Rain City Video). Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's sidebar to see where else you can find this downright delicious feature.



No comments:

Post a Comment