Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Visit (2015)

October Challenge Day: 2

Last night I had the evening to myself, it was dark, storming, and simply perfect for a horror film. So I popped The Visit into the DVD player, grabbed a super fuzzy blanket, and pulled the lever on the recliner.


When I saw the trailer for this film nearly a year ago, I was all like: "Oh hey! This looks interesting".

After finally seeing it I was all like: "What - what? Was there two different versions of this film? Why am I remembering a completely different story?"

Could be because there were three different cuts of this film: a comedy, a horror, and an in-between. This was apparently the in-between. There were some funny parts, and there certainly were jump scares, but in all I really didn't understand this movie.

Great acting and great atmosphere created a nice breeding ground for the cringe binge, but I'm really sad to say that I couldn't get behind the story line. I got confused, and the ending didn't wrap things up much for me either. I understood everything that was happening, just not always why - and that simply frustrated me more.

Ironically, the story revolves around the dementia symptom of "sundowning". Signs include understanding everything that's happening, just not always why - and that simply frustrates the sufferer more. No, really, dementia is heart-breaking and I'm not making fun of it. You can learn more about sundowning here. It's a very real, scary, sad thing.

This is a decent movie, I simply didn't like it. Simply put: it frustrated me. I also don't think found footage was the right format, and yet I see why it was used. 

You know, actually, I was so frustrated by the end that I watched every single bonus the DVD provided. Deleted scenes, interviews, photos - all of it. I wanted to better understand what I had just seen and hopefully find some clarification as to why I have a completely different memory of this film. Not much was clarified but I did learn to appreciate all that went into making this picture. Still frustrated, less angry.

In all, I'm still on your side M. Night Shyamalan! I never left, man. I never left - still rooting.

I would recommend seeing this film at least once because it is a decent film. It really, seriously, is a decent film. It has received a lot of positive attention and I see why - I just didn't like it as much as I wanted to.

Pairs with a classic family recipe, a box of cookies that fell in a snow bank, and fancy little cocktails. If you have some Yankee candles laying around then light 'em up! I would suggest watching this one with at least one other person.

I rented this movie from my local video store (Rain City Video). Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's sidebar to see where else you can find this unique feature.



No comments:

Post a Comment