Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Creeping Flesh (1973)

October Challenge Day 20:

Stopped by the video store to select this week's movie picks today! While browsing their horror section (which was once the 18+ hush hush wink wink section), saying to myself: "seen that, seen that, seen that, ah ... don't want to see that, seen that, seen - " I spot The Creep Flesh.

I knew nothing of the film but I know that time spent with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing is never time wasted (never, ever, ever, ever), so I reached to pluck the video off the shelf  and that's when I heard it: "eeeeek!! eeek! [shuffling sounds] eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! [lots and lots of shuffling sounds]"

EGAADS MAN! What is that?!

I looked around the tiny, cramped little room I was in and saw nothing. but the sounds continued. They were coming from the wall! Folks, these creepy wailing sounds were coming from the wall right in front of me!

They didn't stop either, which escalated the remaining movie picking experience threefold. *Assuming* they were a large pack of mice just waiting to burst through the wall and topple me with a shelf of horror movies, I popped out of there faster than you can say Willard.

That was my initial introduction to the masterpiece of horror that is The Creeping Flesh.


This movie is nothing short of a stellar, absolutely stellar horror film. To be perfectly honest, by the end, my heart was racing and I was literally on the edge of my seat.  It's safe to say I was pretty much like this throughout the entire film:


Remarkable performances by all, stunning effects, incredibly twisted story, and with an even more twisted end, this is one for the ages and Must Experience for anyone who thinks they've seen it all in the creature feature realm. Bonus: its jam-packed with all the super fluffy and colorful boas anyone could ask for.

Although it's a 1970's Gothic tale, don't be fooled into thinking you're going to experience a lot of camp and cheese. There is a little, but only very little. Additionally, there is an attempted rape scene that is incredibly disturbing - please be aware of this.

The monster in this film (and there are a couple, mind you) - but the monster monster, the skeleton, scares me, still. Straight up. This thing gives me the creeps like few monsters do. Also, while there's not a whole lot of gore, there are original and disturbingly detailed graphic scenes. The other monsters in this film, primarily:
  • greed
  • Victorian morals and views on poverty
  • primitive scientific methods
are sure to dig a heal sturdily into everyone's shivering bones. Bonus: if seen in a group you'll have LOTS to talk about regarding these other monsters afterwards...

This is a film like none other and it raced right to the top of some of my favorites within the first half hour. It's a stellar, stellar, stellar horror movie. Immediately after it was over I kindasorta wanted to watch it again, but it's getting late and I have this review to type up.

Gasp. Seriously, folks. I've let out a gasp after seeing this one. Bravo, The Creeping Flesh! Bravo.

Pairs with champagne, water, or English teas in beakers, and some sausages - questionable finger-sized sausages....

Watch with anti-vaccine supporters, scientists, anthropologists, and archaeologists. Enjoy.

I rented this movie from my local video store. Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's sidebar to see where else you can find this simply amazing feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment