Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween! The Uninvited (1944)

The candy bowls are running empty and the streets are getting a little more eerie...

Time for another Happy Halloween movie! And once again, this is another classic tale sure to chill your bones or memory (or both).


My Mother introduced me to this film during my teens. She recorded it just for me one night, since she noticed that I was becoming more interested in ghost stories and haunted houses. I quickly popped the tape into the VCR, yelled at my brothers to Be Quiet!, and proceeded to watch it in plump, greasy faced awe.

I'd never seen anything like it, and there have been very few that meet its caliber still. The 1944 classic, The Uninvited has been called one of the best ghost story movies ever made. There is little question as to why. It's smart, it's quick, it's dark, and mysterious. In fact, it took me several viewings before I caught up with the sassy 1940's banter and through all the levels of social detail.

What I think makes this movie so scary is that it's so casual. There is something so, dare I say, mundane and everyday about it. You find yourself happily watching a good movie without a care in the world and then Bam! Suddenly there's a ghost under your skin... and it crawls out...slowly - making this experience all the more horrific.

This is a great movie to snuggle up on the couch to. Get yourself a glass of wine or brandy or popcorn, or all of the above, chill out, and watch a beautiful story unfold.

Sadly, this movie is a little hard to find. But I have a really great trailer for ya! Enjoy:


No comments:

Post a Comment