Saturday, October 5, 2013

Tomie (1999)

It's 11:00 AM on a sunny Saturday morning, do you know where your horror movie is?

Mine is right here in my hand and I'm going to spend this lovely late morning/early afternoon watching it. And then I'll do some stuff like cleaning, decorating for Halloween, physically talking to people. But in the mean time I'm watching this film.

Tomie has been staring down at me from the Asian horror shelf at the local video store for quite some time now. Taunting me with it's "Tomie will not die" tag line for little over a year. I finally decided to pick it up and have it show me what it's got.


What I know so far about this film is that there is a girl named Tomie and she will not die, I'm leaving it up to the movie to tell me the rest.

Seeing as I have no more time waste, I'm just going to get started with it so I can then get started with the rest of the day. See you all after the show!

Update:

Oh...my. This is a nerve rattling movie. It's creepy, as in little things crawling around under your finger nails creepy. Or, as in a demon wanting to be your bestie and won't let you say no to the idea creepy. Tomie, the focus of the film, is quite frankly one of the scariest women in horror.

With a significant focus on broken trust and relationships, this movie slithered around topics just enough to keep you on the edge of your seat and continue to be shocked at every outcome. The subtle sound effects in the film got me good too. What is it with Asian horror films and water? Why do they make water so frightening?! And the music: nightmarish.

There is a surprising amount of smoking in the film, as in everywhere, by the way...

For full effect, watch on a dark stormy night with high school enemies. This film will require your full attention though, so keep booze to a minimum. Food pairing: take-out from an Italian restaurant. Prepare to be chilled to the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment