Thursday, October 17, 2013

Tales of Terror From Tokyo And All Over Japan The Movie (2007)

What am I watching?

Probably a bad idea, that's what. Or then again...

I'm watching my pennies, so the rent-one-get-one-free day at the video store is my favorite. And when I found a DVD case with FIVE disks in it (advertised as containing over 500 minutes of Japanese ghost story terror), I just about pooped my pants. Instead I cried a little and rented it.

The problem with such good deals is that they are such 'good' deals. I might get about 75 minutes of terror, but 500? Ahhhhh, mmkay we'll see.

Either way, I'm not watching the full 500 minutes tonight. I'll space it out like pulling off a really large scab: slowly and with calculated grace so people think you are just deep in wise thought which has your smarty-mcsmarts-a-lot-fingers distracted absentmindedly and not actually picking at something that is, truthfully, distracting all your attention. Tonight I'm just watching the first tale of Japanese terror: The Night Watchman.

See you after the show!

Update:

Oooooooh what delightful little nibblets of ghost tales these are! And I lied, I was able to watch two of the films - I also watched Wisps of Smoke (which wasn't as delightful as The Night Watchman, but still, delightful).

These two are movie shorts about Japanese ghosts - which are some of the scariest ghosts around, if you ask me - and are fairly modern stories with an ancient feeling twist to them. I like them. I like them a lot. They are like devilish cupcakes with fancy freaky frosting. More on these cupcakes later. More movie movies tomorrow.

So far, suggested pairing: snacks and warm sake.

UPDATE: Hold the presses, hold the presses. Apparently I can not read or understand DVDs. Actually, I'll just blame it on these so far awesome 500 minutes of Japanese ghost stories. The wide assortment of disks confused me. Apparently I've been watching Tales of Terror From Tokyo And All Japan: The Movie these last couple of days. Not just a random collection of ghost stories compiled onto a disk, it actually has been The Movie part of this wide assortment of disks.

The movie was great! Very fun, very spooky, very jolting and What Just Happened?! Weeeee, let's do it again!

I like short stories - I especially like these short stories. Nearly all of them on The Movie disk are excellent. I have yet to watch Tales of Terror From Tokyo And All Over Japan Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3 part 1, and Vol. 3 part 2.

If you love ghost stories, this is a must for your collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment