Sunday, October 1, 2017

50 Horror Movies You May Have Missed (vol. 3)

Welcome to the third annual mega list of movies you may have missed! Hurrah for more movies, movies and lists!

So, without further ado and to welcome in this year's October Challenge, I present:

50 Horror Movies You May Have Missed (vol. 3)
Because there will be more. Oh yes, there will be more.

Abby (1974)

Abby: This is a film that, unfortunately, was locked in a legal battle with The Exorcist but still stands tall in its own right. A striking movie full of sex, chaos, screaming, and sex, I found it alarming and original. Loud, brash, exploitative, and unapologetic, this is a film horror aficionados must see. Pairs with food on 1970's dishware, watch on uncomfortable couches with a small group.

Antichrist (2009)
Antichrist: I have a friend, who normally doesn't watch a lot of horror films, tell me she had a panic attack when she watched this one in the theater. Even I had moments where I just wanted to look away - whispering to myself, "just make it stop....". An unsettling film in every sense and dimension, this will leave viewers cold, possibly confused, but with a deep-seeded feeling of complete dread. Pairs with food and drink foraged from the forest.

At Midnight I'll Take
Your Soul (1964)
At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul: A Brazilian masterpiece of the macabre. Chilling, horrific, *gastly*, our buddy here, Coffin Joe, will take you on a surreal trip where he torments, tortures, taunts, and deeply troubles everyone he comes into contact with. Brutal and disturbing, this is another film horror fans should not pass up. Pairs with red wine and bread.

Attack The Block (2011)
Attack the Block: If "from the producers of Shaun of the Dead" hasn't already sold you, then let me add that this sharp and witty horror comedy is a delightful tickler for all horror audiences. Aliens vs a rough and tumble group of London kids, this is a fun and feisty little flick for most everyone. Pairs with pizza, beer, and some of your best buds (preferably buds who you can count on to help you fight an alien invasion).
The Baby (1973)

The Baby: Here's a bizarre slapstick scorcher of a horror film, complete with man children and insane women. This film could induce a lot of debate topics afterwards OR it could just be a really strange and unsettling film that's best washed down with a strong drink. You can read more in my review here.
The Bay (2012)

The Bay: I generally have mixed feelings about found footage films, but this one didn't leave me with mixed anything - it was straight up terrifying. Incredibly gross. Gross, gross, gross, nightmares, gross *I'm making gag faces right now just thinking about it.* This film chilled me to the bone and made me gag. To make matters worse, the monsters in this film Actually Exist! This movie doesn't pair with anything except a strong stomach. You can read more in my review here.

Beaster Day (2014)
Beaster Day: Here Comes Peter Cottonhell: This is a wild and wacky film about a super ugly giant killer rabbit. As should be expected in a movie about a giant killer rabbit, there are stupid absurd amounts of blood, skin, gore, groans and laughs. In short, this is a downright awfully entertaining film. It's bad, really bad but really good with bringing on the chuckles. You can read more in my review here.
Black Devil Doll From
Hell (1984)

Black Devil Doll From Hell: I'm not even really sure where to begin with this one.... it's about a religious woman who buys a doll (one she was told not to) and then maniacal exploits proceed (and straight down hill) from there. Wild music, plot, and an even more wild (evil) doll - this is a startling film in many ways. Pairs with dishes from a bizarre titled recipe book.

The Blackcoat's
Daughter (2015)
The Blackcoat's Daughter: Originally called February (which I think would have been more fitting) this film is deeply, deeply, troubling. Oz Perkins, director of this film and another favorite of mine, I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, has done yet another stellar job of creating a Full Body Horror experience with sound effects, ambiance, with the chilling and eerie slow burn. This is his directorial debut and it damn near gave me a panic attack based on sound alone. Pairs with small sandwiches and ice cold water. Watch alone.

The Burrowers (2008)
The Burrowers: This is a surprising film on multiple levels. At first glance it looks a little hokey - it's far, far from hokey. It also takes place in South Dakota (shout out to my home state)! It's a wild west creature feature that is well worth nearly every horror fan's time and attention. Sharp, smart, wild, and completely engaging - you don't want to miss these monsters. One IMBD reviewer wrote: "If Lovecraft wrote a western..." while another said "If Deadwood, Tremors, and Night of The Living Dead had sex..." and I don't disagree with either. Pairs with anything made in a cast iron skillet or over a fire.

The Canal (2014)
The Canal: This Irish creeptastic feature disturbed me so much that I still have trouble conjuring up memories about it. It's a ghost story and also so much more (in the psychological sense). It's cold, damp, heart pounding, messed up, and unforgiving. Frankly, this psychological thriller really messed my head up. You can read more in my review here.
The Changeling
(1980)

The Changling: Speaking of super great ghost stories... this film tops my restless spirits chart. I know it's not really an unknown film, and already tops the charts of others, but I just want to point it out because it seems to me some will pass it up for no good reason at all, or some people just don't *get* it. It's spooky, it's atmospheric, it's a haunting, sad, yet a startling little tale about a boy's ghost. I love this film. Love it, and I'm sure you will too with some patience. Give it a try on a dark, quiet night alone. You can read more in my review here.

Chopping Mall
(1986)
Chopping Mall: Mostly, all you need to know about this slashic is that it's about robotic mall security guards that go rouge. What more do you need to know!? Oh, I guess also it's obviously ridiculously fun, wrong wrong wrong, sleazy, cheesy, and your new favorite late night movie. Pizza, beer, friends, laughs - you get the picture. You can read more in my review here.
The Company of
Wolves (1984)

The Company of Wolves: I find this film mesmerizing. Following hot on the heals of the Little Red Riding Hood tale, this film meanders around the life of a young woman - on the verge of adulthood - and the possible monsters/wolves/men she could encounter. An incredibly unique werewolf film, this is sure to be enjoyed by cinephiles and those of the horror/fantasy blend. Pairs with picnic basket snacks, watch alone.

Dark Water (2002)
Dark Water: I've seen the U.S. version and the Japanese version and hands down, the Japanese (original) is far, far more frightening. I actually felt cold and damp after seeing it. Absolutely Chilled. Fantastic setting, ambiance, and most terrifying of all - the sound of water, this movie is one to be seen and one you'll never forget. Pairs with something warm but only after viewing. You can read more in my review here.

Deep Dark (2015)
Deep Dark: This one takes the Genie in the Lamp story and twists it into something far more insane and horrifying. It's about an artist who gets inspiration and his wishes granted by a super sexy talking hole in his dingy apartment wall. You might be chuckling now but this is not a movie for the yuk yuk yuks. It's serious, sad, unnerving, gross and completely outrageous. Watch with a small silent group, serve hors d'oeuvres.

Dig Two Graves (2014)
Dig Two Graves: Looking for a feel good fun revenge horror story? Don't try this one. Although revenge plays a significant role here, the story is far more sinister and macabre. Along with the paranormal horrors, this movie is jam-packed full of real life horrors. Humans are just simply the worst sometimes. Simply the worst. The movie begs the audiences' heart and attention in several different directions, while the eyes will be all about the cinematic beauty, but by the end you'll be exhausted, sad, and needing a good hug. Pairs with home cooked meals.

Don't Look Now
(1973)
Don't Look Now: Don't pay attention to the warning and look at this film - soak this film in - BE this film. I realize that this movie is likely already on many Best Horror Film charts but I still need to share it. Partly because I am super fan of Daphne Du Maurier's work (also author of The Birds and Rebecca), but also because this is one of a very few number of films that had me scream out loud, jump/crawl back up on the couch, and sit in silence for a moment just so I could try and understand what happened. The ending of this slow burn psychological thriller is absolutely not something you want to miss.

Dumplings (2004)
Dumplings: This shocker out of Hong Kong crosses so many boundaries - I loved it. A super sketchy cook has a dumpling recipe for eternal youth. What price are you willing to pay for it, and do you want to know the ingredients? Oh this film is so GROSS! It's wonderfully detailed, sound effects are marvelous, and the story is sure to crawl right up your spine. You can read more in my review here.
Eraserhead (1977)

Eraserhead: I'm sure for most horror fans this film is both loved and cherished, but for those just getting started: don't let this one slip from your radar. A David Lynch classic, this visual and audio cringe binge stunner is one of my very favorite films and one that might best be appreciated alone or in a small, quiet group - preferably with anyone *considering* having children. Pairs with dishes from this list of truly upsetting recipes.

The Flesh Eaters: Don't be fooled - granted this is another classic 1960's creature feature, it also isn't. Super witty, surprisingly dark-humored, and downright not what you expect from a 1960's creature feature, this film is a perfect for a late night gathering of friends who are looking for more than just cheap laughs. Pairs with surprisingly complicated appetizers.

The Fly (1986)
The Fly: You might be asking yourself: what is this film doing in this list - of course I've heard of The Fly. That may be, but when was the last time you saw it?! This is one of those films that surprises me every time I see it. Egaaads! surprising. The Oh My! type of surprising. To be shelved in the same section of "Pretty Good 1950's Horror, Even Better 1980's Remakes" along with The Thing and The Blob. Pairs with food that flies are attracted to.

High Plains Drifter
(1973)
High Plains Drifter: I know, I know, this is a Western - but it's a really chilling, unsettling, supernatural Western! I love Westerns in addition to Horror, so I especially love Horror Westerns and I put this one right at the top of that list. Clint Eastwood at one of his most Clint Eastwoodness, this eerie and extremely disturbing tale follows the residents of Hell after a stranger floats into town... pairs with whiskey, more whiskey, and dust in your face.
Hobo With A Shotgun
(2011)

Hobo With A Shotgun: Blood, guts, chaos, exploitation, super violence everywhere - this is grindhouse horror all the way. I think the IMDB summary provides the best overall picture of what to expect from this film: "A homeless vigilante blows away crooked cops, pedophile Santas, and other scumbags with his trusty pump-action shotgun." Pairs with lots of junk food.

I Am The Pretty
Thing That Lives In
The House (2016)
I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House: I've already mentioned this film with the director's debut: The Black Coat's Daughter, and I want to stress that this film is not for every horror fan. It's an ultimate slow burn that oozes tension, dreamy realities, and a sad/shocking ending. Complaints about this film seem to come from people who do not understand that a good horror story doesn't always involve jump-scares. Requiring your full attention 100% in order to truly appreciate it, I recommend this one for Gothic horror fans on a dark, cold, lonely day. Pairs with soup. You can read more in my review here.

I Bury The Living (1958)
I Bury The Living: I was completely blown out of the water with this classic. Expecting something along the lines of House On Haunted Hill (which is Great! Just in a different way...), this film surprised me with its great acting, startling story line, and brilliant ability to completely chill the viewer. This is not a 1950's B horror film, not at all in my book. It's a beautifully compelling thriller with a Twilight Zone feel throughout. Pairs with popcorn, a frosty mug of beer, and a spooky evening alone. You can read more in my review here.

The Invitation (2015)
The Invitation: It took me some time to really *get into* this film, but once hooked, I was dragged to the bitter end with a horrified look on my face and a cold, calculated dread settling into my bones. This is a scary film, but it takes a while to really understand what exactly makes it so terrifying. Is it the odd couple? The lingering threat hiding in the darkness? The uncomfortable collection of old friends talking about uncomfortable things? It all will surprise you. Watch with friends after bailing on a dinner night with other friends.

Isolation: Scientific experiments have gone wrong at this small Irish farm. Really, really wrong. My brother reviewed the movie, here. The only thing I have to add is that this was also my face throughout much of the film:
Isolation (2005)


Juan of the Dead
(2011)

Juan of the Dead: Some friends came back from Cuba with amazing stories and a recommendation that I see this film. I'm very grateful for both! Gory, fun, serious, exciting - zombies take over Havana and the laughs and screams are in equal measure. A great film for a movie night with friends, but also a great film to discuss the variety of topics this movie hones in on. You can read more in my review here.

Kwaidan (1964)
Kwaidan: Based on the tales collected by late 19th Century author, Lafcadio Hearn, these simply stellar ancient Japanese legends are a marvel to experience. Beautiful, stunning, heartbreaking, and chilling - this film and its stories is one of my favorites. It's just so, so, so beautiful. The music, cinematography, the sound effects, costumes, choreography - All Of It: Marvelous. Watch with artsy fartsy friends or alone. You can read more in my review here.
The Little Girl Who
Lived Down The
Lane (1976)

The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane: Resourceful and incredibly creepy little Jodie Foster, battles inquisitive neighbors and a really really creepy and super gross Martin Sheen. Watch out folks, this little girl down the lane is not someone you want to mess with. Disturbing and atmospheric, watch this one alone on a rainy afternoon. Pairs with PB and J sandwiches and orange juice.

Long Weekend (1978)
Long Weekend: Scenes from this film come back to me for no reason, from time to time. Disturbing scenes. Dead animal scenes... Needless to say, the movie will stick with you. This Australian classic is a creeping crawler of man vs. nature. Do I have to say who wins in the end?!? You can read more in my review here. Pairs with anything picked up at the local farmer's market.
The Loved Ones
(2009)


The Loved Ones: Another film to add to your Australian cringe binge marathon. Here you'll follow a young man on his worst prom night ever. A goretastic blood bath and torture festival, that is also a dark comedy to the darkest degree. It's a film will leave you with slack jaw and a solid punch in the gut. Cringe Binge Galore. Pairs with cake, a nasty nasty gross looking cake (that may or may not have already fallen on the ground).


Lovely Molly (2011)
Lovely Molly: This is not one of my favorite films, but I think it's a must see for horror fans. One IMDB user titled a review: "This Film Will Leave A Disturbing After-Effect To Your Memory Long After You See It". I absolutely could not agree more! Not one of my favorites but I can't stop thinking about it - particularly certain images from the film. Harrowing, unsettling, heartbreaking, and downright wrong, this film will stick with you (and mess you up) long after seeing it. You've been warned. Pairs with don't do drugs.
The Magdalene Sisters
(2002)


The Magdalene Sisters: You'll likely never find this film in the Horror section, it's a Drama, but I find a lot of dramas absolutely terrifying (see also Requiem for a Dream, Quills) because real life can be terrifying. Based on actual events, this film follows young women thrown into a Catholic asylum against their will in 1960's Ireland. "Thrown into a Catholic asylum against their will" should be enough to make it a horror story but it gets so much worse. So much worse. Pairs with crackers and wine.


Memory of the Dead
(2011)
Memory of the Dead: An Argentinian horror film of epic proportions! A gortastic gorefest that is visually stunning while also being a super macabre love story. Not a film to miss if you're looking for something new in the horror and supernatural world. Monsters, witchcraft, blood, blood, blood, overall brutality - and it all spins wildly at the very end. Watch with friends you invited over for dinner. You can read more in my review for The Bloodlust, here.

The Monster (2016)
The Monster: I had a bit of trouble really *getting into* this one at first. Mostly because the mother seemed so laughably young to possibly be the mother of a kid her daughter's age. My mind just made them sisters, with the oldest being the awful older sister. Once their road trip began, however, my attention changed and the story got really, really interesting, and heartfelt. Bonus: the monster here, the actual creature in the woods (because there really is more than one *monster*), is strikingly terrifying. Pairs with road trip food and bottles of beer - will need a hug afterwards.

Neon Demon (2016)
Neon Demon: Love this film, I absolutely love it. Thing is, I'm not entirely sure what I love about this film. It's tactile, sticky, gaudy, beautiful, striking, mesmerizing and very very very creepy. Unsettling. Disturbing. Chilling. Hard. Completely full of WTFs - this is a film pulled from the bloody and traumatizing nightmares of deserted streets, lonely but budding youth, and the modeling world. Not a horror film for every horror fan, but certainly one for fans of art house horror and mind melty slow burners. Pairs with rice cakes, water, and a stiff martini. Watch alone.
Night Tide (1961)

Night Tide: I believe this might be Dennis Hopper's first film, and he's absolutely fantastic in it. Also speaking of art house horror and mind melty slow burners - this thriller of a creature feature is a delightfully heartfelt and frankly, distributing, love story between a man and a mermaid. A classic black and white film that requires your full attention at all times, this is a great choice for a dark and stormy afternoon/evening curled up on the couch. Watch with sailors, pairs with seafood.

Primer (2004)

Primer: I saw this film once, over ten years ago, and I still can't forget it. A full-on quiet thriller that is also a psychological horror film, this when-science-goes-too-far startup company has bit off more than it can chew when their idea actually works. Another slow burner that requires your full attention, I suspect this one gets better the more often you watch it. I advise watching it at least once, however, over vending machine food, with extremely patient friends who work in the tech industry.


Pumpkinhead (1988)
Pumpkinhead: I'm putting this super great (is it a classic yet?) out there to be triply sure every horror fan has seen this film, as I'm not sure how many lists this one already tops, but it needs to be added here just in case. An epic creature feature with an absolutely frightening creature, this story revolves around love, lost, revenge, and the costs of all those. The cost of Pumpkinhead. I am hard pressed not to re-watch this film whenever I see it come on TV or streaming services. Watch this film, people. Watch with friends on a movie night, but just make sure you watch it. Then watch it again.

Santa Sangre (1989)

Santa Sangre: It took me years to get through this absolutely chaotic Mexican horror film. Years. Considered one of Alejandro Jodorowsky's best movies, this psychedelic nightmare is not for every horror fan but I strongly encourage all horror fans see it, even if it takes a while. Madness, chaos, religious tortures, disturbed love - and hell, let's throw in some clowns and elephants too. This is a moral tale, wrapped in a nightmare, wrapped in the souls of hundreds of tortured persons. This is not my favorite horror films but I respect the hell out of it. Approach at your own risk. Watch with brave friends. You can read more in my review here.


Slither (2006)

Slither: This one slide right into my life years ago - I laughed and loved it. Then years later I was like, "Wonder what this film is about - I'm going to watch it. [a few minutes in] Wait. I've seen this already!" I blame the poster image. It's not an accurate representation of what this creature feature is all about, and not remotely affiliated with anything I remembered about the film. A gross, funny, creepy crawly feature that will leave you covered in guts and bellowing with laughter, it's a great pick for a fun movie night with friends. Pairs with hot dogs or sausages. You can read more in  my review here.


Starry Eyes (2014)
Starry Eyes: Turn that Neon Demon into a double feature night with another nightmarish thriller about the entertainment industry. This movie emulates the quote (still unsure who it's from but I love it anyway): "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes". Also, be careful what you ask for - you might just get it. Pairs with cheap food and people that won't stab you in the back or, well, invite you into a cult.
Teeth (2007)

Teeth: I want to see more films like this. Not quite a thriller, not quite a creature feature, not quite a bloody revenge story - but something just a liiiiiiiittle different. A super smart, sharp, tale about killer body parts. Sexual parts. We need more movies like these in our lives. Watch with your best friends at a ladies night out, serve with booze and food that screams IDGAF. 

The Tenant (1976)

The Tenant: Regardless how you feel about Roman Polanski, myself included, I strongly urge horror fans to give this thriller a try. A surreal story about apartment dwellers, this film is quick to start giving you the creeps right fast and furiously. Full of questions, comments for after the show, and a deep, dreadful overall feeling of "what just happened?", this art house horror is one that will taunt your memories for years to come. Pairs with French food, watch alone or with a trusted neighbor.
The Vanishing (1988)

The Vanishing: This is the Dutch original that spawned the U.S. 1993 release of the same title. I saw the remake first and loved it. Nearly 15 years later I saw the original. Both are absolutely horrifying but naturally, the original is better. This twisted story follows an abducted woman, a boyfriend that won't stop looking for her, and the psychopath that toys with them both. This is a deeply, deeply troubling film in every sense of the word. Frankly, I've never been able to look at a truck stops the same since. Pairs with gas station food, and hold tight to your loved ones.

The Video Dead (1987)

The Video Dead: Zombies start crawling out of a TV set and begin killing people (but not before they start stealing stuff!). Hold on to those remotes, folks, this one is bonkers. It's terrible. It's a horribly, horribly hilarious *horror* film. Gather your best peoples, bring plenty of booze, and make a day of fun with this film, Chopping Mall, and Beaster Day. You'll laugh until your face falls off. You can read more in my review here.

The Void (2016)

The Void: Not to be confused with the anthology that was released the same year, this feature taps into creatures, religions, madness, isolation, and the pure chaos that nearly all horror fans have come to love and appreciate in their fine horror entertainment. With fantastic monsters, and a story that quickly tailspins into crazy town (all while wrapped up in dirty blanket that smells like a sci-fi fiasco), this would be a good pick for a night alone or watch with a small group of friends who are just as weird as you are.

The Woman Despiser
(1967)
Woman Despiser: An absolutely fascinating horror story out of 1960's Turkey where miniskirts, pop music, and big hair rules. It's also about a psychopath with a particular hatred towards woman ... not new news anywhere in the world, sadly, of course, but this film takes it to a whole new level. Completely absorbing, raw, unsettling and original - this is not a film to miss if you like art house horror meets Hitchcockian thriller. Watch with a very small group where no one despises each other, pairs with Mediterranean dishes.





No comments:

Post a Comment