Monday, October 9, 2017

Unnatural (2016)

October Challenge: Day 9

Had a wonderful day of balancing the accomplishments of completing chores and wholeheartedly relaxing. I was so absorbed (in both activities) that I was surprised when the evening rolled up and reminded me that I had not yet seen today's film

Scrambling, I took a shot in the dark at this fairly unknown feature: Unnatural.


I liked the poster.

I liked it so much that I thought the film might be a good choice for this busy, peaceful, chilly Sunday. I was not wrong!

Creature features are a delight to me, and when that creature comes in the form of a scientifically modified polar bear, I'm all ears.

Here we have a moralistic tale on the arguments about science, global warming, everyday jerks, and the gruesome ends to be expected when they are all played out in remote Alaska. The suspension of disbelief skills are called upon in heavy force here, however. Just run with it, best you can, and you'll find the show rather entertaining.

What's not entertaining, however, was that I managed to choose a film that was heavy-handed in insults to the indigenous people - on Indigenous Peoples' Day, of all days. These insults are hurled primarily by one awful character who sees a rather explosive death (hilariously, and to no one's surprise).

This is a good film for a late night/couple night - curled up on the couch, and at the end of the film someone stand ups, doesn't say much about the film but instead says, "It's late, I'm going to bed" and the other one says, "Okay, I'll join you in bed shortly."

The ending of this film is pretty awesome, sad, and somewhat expected. The creature in this film is pretty fantastic though. I particularly loved this creature - the effects, style, and idea alone. In fact,  I found it rather scary. A gory, original, creature. Well done there.

Pairs with popcorn, PJs, and curled up on the couch - mentally getting ready for the next day.

I watched this film on Showtime, or us the Find It. Watch It. links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this smirker of a creature feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment