Thursday, October 12, 2017

Red State (2011)

October Challenge: day 12

I've had this movie sitting in my movie collection so long that I forgot I even had it. Imagine the surprise even when I saw that it had a Blockbuster sticker on it!

Not sure what Blockbuster I was visiting around 2011 or why I bought a movie I'd never seen before, but it's likely booze was involved. I went through a phase in the early 2000s where, when living near a Hollywood Video store, I would wander in late on a Friday night and just buy the VHS tapes they were selling instead of renting DVDs. My Husband is still convinced that I took the last local VHS copy of Watership Down during this phase - years before we had even met. When we moved in together he saw it and whispered: "... so it was you..."

Sooooooo, it's entirely possible this movie came from a late night visit to a video store that I felt in my bones was ending and I just needed a token... OR It's also possible that I found it in a free pile on the street corner. Much of my collection has been built by both methods.

I cooked up some beef stroganoff (from my grandmother's recipe book), kicked some ass and took some names today, won a skillet on social media, and began preparing the house for a new kitten we're bringing into the home.

Time to bring on a film I own and know nothing about: Red State!



I have a feeling this is going to get political... See you after the show!

WOW

Wow wow wow. This film is kinda of amazing. Wholeheartedly amazed, shocked, surprised, entertained and appalled.

I was also not exactly right about the "get political..." thing. I also don't want to give too much away because the manner in which this story spirals is a sight and experience to behold.

By the way, I love John Goodman in this. Love. Him. In. This.

But to give this review of a little more depth, I'll add that this film revolves around crazy people who just want to watch the world burn - and not necessarily the crazy people you think this film will be about. At least, I was surprised. A certain group of people, proverbial turds in the punch bowl of life kind of people. One very small but heinous group of people....

In short! This is a fantastic, high-speed, madhouse of horror on so many levels. Great atmosphere and acting, incredibly engrossing while also being repulsive, I highly recommend this film for a small but intense movie night.

OH MY GOD
Bonus, I'm pretty sure I saw this guy in the movie!

Pairs with crazy ass crackers and hotdogs. Beer in a can or water from a fountain.

I own this film (and so glad I do!). Use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this thrill ride of a feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment