Sunday, October 15, 2017

What Lies Beneath (2000)

October Challenge: Day 15

I first saw this film during a phase in my life where I would just wander from film to film in one theater - sometimes spending my whole day there. I've since matured, realized that was incredibly expensive, and just pretty much do the same thing at home, from the couch, now.

Like today! 

I was looking for something to cozy up to and hide away from the world for a bit, and then I saw What Lies Beneath just sitting there, calling my name.


This movie floored and transported me. I was in awe of the scenery, the lifestyle of this family, the house - all of it. I wanted *that* world. The whole damn film looks like it should smell like fresh laundry! Well ... until the end anyway ...

The story revolves around many intense subjects: domestic abuse, depression, isolation, and martial problems. Heavy subjects. Let's throw a ghost in the mix and see how things turn out!

I walked out of the theater after seeing this film and realized that I really needed more Gothic-like ghost stories in my life. There's just something so delectable, satisfying, unnerving, and incredibly spooky about them. This film encompass all these attributes. So, so, so satisfying.

The end is startlingly heart-racing, which has a surprising influence on the viewing experience because a majority of the film creeps along with a slow, cold, menace.

I love this movie. I just love it. It was a splendid choice for a chill (and chilly) Sunday afternoon.

Recommended for a chill (and chilly) Sunday afternoon or a stormy night alone. Pairs with water, more water, and perhaps some white wine. A fancy dish, caprese salad, and big fluffy bathrobes.

I watched this film on Hulu or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this well done ghostly feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment