Saturday, October 28, 2017

Watership Down (1978)

October Challenge: Day 26

I've decided to dedicate October 26th, my mother's birthday, to reviewing horror films for the kids. You know, films to raise your children on - like we did, and we all turned out fine. :)

I first saw Watership Down when I was around 8/9 years old, and, naturally, I was totally traumatized. As every child pretty much is after seeing this film.


Why in the world would I recommend a traumatizing horror film for the kids? Because it'll it put hair on their chest, that's why.

No, seriously, this is a fantastic film. I might just like it better than the book. *Might*. It's scary, it's heartwarming, it's fascinating, and it's an amazing story. 

Like the book, I think it's a good thing to 'humanize' animals - teach the children at a young age to relate to all creatures. To be kind, caring and gentle to vulnerable creatures in particular, and also to understand a little of how life works (life and death cycle). 

The animation in this film is striking, to say the least, and I think its style helps promote the mystery and frightening aspects of the story. What initially sounds like a simple story: rabbits on the run to safety, quickly turns into a highly dynamic tale of survival against all odds and the various creatures and situations they meet along the way. 

I love this movie. I love this movie SO MUCH. At times, as a child, I would even watch it daily. When the film comes up on conversation in a group, I often hear someone say: "Oh, that film scared me so much as a kid. I loved it - great film." And I totally agree. 

So, be sure to give your child the very unique and - dare I say, life-changing, Watership Down experience. It will stick with them for a lifetime, in a good way.

I own this film on VHS and guard it like a dragon does gold, or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this fantastic creature feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment