Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)

October Challenge: Day 23

I saw this movie for the first time a few weeks ago - and loved it! Also, you absolutely can't go wrong when Peter Cushing and and Christopher Lee are in the house, especially when there's a wild animal on the loose! Hurrah for The Hound of the Baskervilles!


Conduct a search for "Hound of the Baskervilles" on IMDB and you'll get about 40 results. Yeah, this story has been told again and again - and this is the first movie version I've ever seen. Maybe some day I'll spend a month where I just watch versions of this story.... or not, now that I think about it...

I read it in high school some 23 years ago, fell in love with it then - now very excited and very surprised to return to it  after so many years (why has it taken so long!). In any case I'm glad I've finally seen this version.

With the brilliant Peter Cushing as the brilliant Sherlock Holmes, and the wonderful Christopher Lee as the poor inheritor of the Baskerville curse, even if you know the story from top to bottom, it's well worth a viewing just for these two. 

Crafty ambiance, witty banter, superb creepy atmosphere, and a stellar cast this film is a must for a dark and rainy night. Would you expect anything less from Hammer studios? It's fun and frightening, and if there is anyone in your life who's a little hesitant on horror stories then introduce them to this one. 

I watched this film on TubiTV or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this delightful chiller.


No comments:

Post a Comment