Friday, October 6, 2017

XX (2017)

October Challenge: Day 6

The day didn't turn out quite as planned, and that's okay. It actually all turned out for the best. I like those days - especially when it ends with the first Autumn-feeling night really beginning to creep in, chilling the bones and shaking the trees.

Our kitchen drawer fell apart, oddly, and as my Husband and I were banging new nails in and going back and forth about the right way to hold the boards together, the wind-chimes began to bellow, we could hear the trees swaying, and a breeze blew into the home through our open patio door that reminded us to chill and - well - it's getting chilly.

It was about this time that I suggested tonight's movie pick: XX.


A horror anthology film, directed by women and seen through a woman's perspective. I'm all on board. Mike tells me some of the reviews sound very belittling, which upset him to the point that now he wants to watch out it of spite of some of the reviewers. We'll just have to see for ourselves!

We're starting this film late because of change in plans, a broken drawer, and taking some time to appreciate the this blustery evening. 

See you after the show!

***

Well, I certainly enjoyed this film! Four delectable shorts involving woman and their everyday conflicts as a parent, partner, sibling, and friend when evil arrives in town.

I enjoyed these films. I found them engaging, creative, and incredibly disturbing. Moreover, I thought the concepts were brilliantly portrayed as horror stories for a horror movie versus the horror stories of real life (death of a child, death of a spouse, death of sibling, and the death of a child's love). 

These shorts kept me on the edge of my seat in anticipation, and I truly appreciated how much each little film kept me guessing. Although there were moments that seemed out of place or a little confusing, in all, these are some fun horror stories.  

I have not read other's reviews and I have no intention to read them. I thought this was a well done collaboration of innovative minds and I look forward to seeing more. 

Watch alone, late, on a cold and blustery night. Pairs with red wine and cake. 

I watched this film on Netflix or use the Find It. Watch It links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find these tasty little morsels of cinema. 

No comments:

Post a Comment