Saturday, October 26, 2019

Haunt (2019)

October Challenge Day 25

My brother came by the house and, after lovingly arguing about several films, we settled on this one.

I hated the title, but we both found the synopsis promising. The high ratings helped. If it wasn't for the ratings I wouldn't have checked out Haunt.


Damn. I hate this title so much. Poster is interesting ...

This film is about a collection of college students who check out a haunted house attraction on Halloween. Yawn? Yes. But again, the ratings won me over. It has high marks for the right reasons.

The brief synopsis is not capable of describing how clever and interesting this film is. Sure, it's about a bunch of college students who check out a haunted house attraction, but it's also brilliantly filmed. The cinematography is wildly well done considering the bland topic. Excellent acting, striking jump scares, and amazing kill scenes is an absolute bonus!!!

Damn, I hate this title so much though. 

Sure, sure, sure - it's a horror story about a haunted house attraction. I get that it's called "Haunt". But it also incorporates so many elements of an Escape Room attraction. It fact, it's more of an Escape Room than a haunted house... the title is really the only thing that sucks about this film. 

Wait. So my brother and I laughed out loud a bit about the last few minutes of the film. We're hard, cynical, and well traveled horror fans though. The ending was a hilarious moment for us, but for non regular horror fans, it may be a delight. 

Overall, we both really enjoyed this horror show. It was unique and a win despite it's (initial) blandness. In fact, it's a great Halloween film. 

Best watched with a group who loves sudden adventures. Pairs with shots and food found in a baseball park. I watched this film on Shudder. Use the Find It. Watch It. links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can find this very Halloween feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment