Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Queen of Earth (2015)

October Challenge Day 4

I was pretty sure I knew what I was going to be getting myself into when I popped Queen of Earth into the DVD player: a long hot shower afterwards and possibly a hug.

I WAS RIGHT


Queen of Earth revolves around two friends who decide to retreat into a summer cabin. The monsters that attack them on their visit are themselves...

This is a difficult one to watch, for a variety of reasons, but worth at least one viewing. 

First, it's physically and emotionally invasive. From the very opening seconds you are slapped in the face with a very uncomfortable front row seat to a lovers quarrel. 

Then it's the sound. Some sounds are high-pitched or loud while seconds later it's almost too quiet to hear what anyone is saying - all very disruptive. I thought this was poor work by the sound crew until I realized this is absolutely on purpose. I imaged this was done to create a maddening effect. As someone who is half deaf, this very, absolutely, 100% created a maddening effect. I hated the sound effects in the first half of the film. I even began to write up a scathing review. By the end I understood it's purpose and had to tip my hat.

If that wasn't enough, this film has a distinct texture. A late 1960's/early 1970's air. You can almost taste it in the trailer:


This rather stunning detail leads to more confusion, and by the end you're scared and don't know why.

Speaking of the end - folks. If you're not a fan of having more questions by the end of a film than what you started with then maybe this one is not for you. I feel this film has a purpose for discussion and theory, specifically about relationships. It's a mad house too, so prep yourself with emotional reserves. It helped me to yell at the TV, often: "THERAPY!!!"

Pairs with cans of beers with cigarette butts in them and grudges.

I rented this film from my local library. Use the Find It. Watch It. links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can find this mind melter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment