Tuesday, October 22, 2019

In the Shadow of the Moon (2019)

October Challenge Day 16

So my brother texted me in the evening - alerting me to In The Shadow of the Moon. He started to check it out and thought I might like it. I dropped what I was doing when, after I wrote back asking if I should see it, he responded with "...might be a vampire story. I'm not sure".


We decided to watch it together - separately - and continued to communicate by text. Folks, below is our conversations:

Me: "Not sorry I never had children and that mustache is ridiculous."

Bro: "I was just about to say: this is every kid in movies nowadays."
Bro: "Why is every movie kid an adorable little dumpling."

Me: "Except for when they are killers. Kids are either dumplings or killers."
Me: "That mustache needs to go away."

Bro: "Bokeem Woodbine looks actually younger."
Bro: "I actually like it."
Bro: It was the 90s Jolie!"

Me: "The mustache? It makes me uncomfortable. And 90s Jolie was strong! I feel we're in Se7en territory now though."

Bro: "As someone who hasn't shaved her legs since the 90s, you have no right to critique body hair. Quit 'stache shaming."

Me: "(laughing emojis) FAIR"
Me: "Why are you not addressing the Se7en aspect?"

Bro: "What do you mean?"

Me: "Wait: THE MATRIX MEETS VAMPIRES"

Bro: "Damn"

Me: "RIGHT"
Me: "Wait. What?"
Me: "WAIT WHAT"

Bro: "Hmmm, now not sure where this is going"

Me: "Yeah..."

Bro: "You cannot bitch about the 'stache now that he has this shitty beard."

Me: "Full moons, vampires, time traveling - nope. The 'stache problem is gone."
Me: "And now this feels like Frailty."

Bro: "I don't get why he's so set on killing her. I think I'd be more intrigued with finding out what's going on"

Then then the ending happened and we were both a little speechless .... but not in a *good* way....

Bro: "Please call me"

Folks, it's really rather difficult to describe what this film is about - although the message at the end has a righteous purpose/message, the manner in which the story is told is overly, how shall I say ... dramatic? Confusing? All Over The Damn Place?

In all, when bro and I talked after the film, we both were all like "Ah. What was that?" It's science fiction in a horror suit, walking around with a ton of thriller baggage, masquerading as a drama. It's an odd film.

Best watched with someone you can text with throughout the film - while they too are watching it.  Pairs with a PBR and something you fished out of the freezer and has an expiration date in the past.

I watched this film on Netflix. Use the links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this .... unusual film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment