Tuesday, October 1, 2019

50 Horror Movies You May Have Missed (vol. 5)

Welcome to the fifth annual mega list of movies you may have missed! Hurrah for more movies, movies and lists!

So, without further ado and to welcome in this year's October Challenge, I present:

50 Horror Movies You May Have Missed (vol. 5)
Because there will be more. Oh yes, there will be more.


All The Devils Are Here: Quirky, fun, gruesome, and at times over-the-top, this one would work nicely as a group movie night pick - for most kinds of horror fans. It has your typical story line: group of young, ignorant people wander into the wilderness only to be met with evil things, and then end up dead. It also has your typical characters: the smart, the stupid, the sexy, and the weirdo. Finally, of course, it also has some rather original monsters. It's a fun, ridiculous film to chill out to with friends. Pairs with beer. Lots of beer.

Are We Not Cats: Someone on IMDB called this film "playfully revolting"and I absolutely agree. This movie pops back into my mind now and again and I still have the same reaction as I did when the credits rolled: "What in the actual living f*ck was that?!" I say it with appreciation though, not disgust. Well, a little disgust but good disgust. To add to the disgust - it's also a romance film. Here, we have two lost souls (or are they...???) who find each other, thanks to hair. Wet hair.

Bad Ben: I have some mad respect for this extreme budget found footage film. First, the movie is made by, stared, filmed, and directed by one man - Nigel Bach - in his home. He also created the dialog on the spot (which was really refreshing!). This film also feels like it was created in a IDGAF laboratory. Regardless of how you feel about found footage films, this one pulls off some remarkable stunts for a one man show. If you enjoyed the cleverness of Creep then I recommend you check out this unusual haunted house story.

Bewitched aka Embrujada: This is an unusual film. Well, unusual for me - it was my introduction to South American obscure sexual horror. Here we have a Native American woman who just wants to have a child - and will do almost anything to make that happen. Unfortunately for her, a demon is getting in the way and in pursuit of her. Weird and wild. If you're looking or something a little different and hidden from much of the horror world, then check it out.

Bug: This film had me scratching aggressively at my skin by the end - but different kinds of creepy crawlies were covering me. Harrowing is a word to describe this film that was original a play. That blew my mind, by the way. This was originally created for the stage and it shows, in a really great way! The loneliness and isolation, so well captured on a dark stage, is reflected here beautifully. Loneliness and isolation and the nightmares of trauma, loss, and addiction ....


Burnt Offerings: This is a great book and a surprisingly overlooked horror film. It's also not your typical 'ghost' story.... What could possibly go wrong with renting a beautiful house for the summer at an unbelievable price? The only catch is that you have to feed the strange woman upstairs. Sure. Seems legit. A great choice for fans who like to be chilled by a story unfolding off screen or in the suggested horrors. You can read more in my review here.

Chasing Sleep: Wowza folks. This one is a doozy. Not for everyone but absolutely for David Lynch or Frailty fans. This story revolves around a man who has sleeping issues and wakes one day to find his wife has disappeared ... With a remarkable performance by Jeff Daniels and stunningly filmed (think claustrophobic, in the brain), this one might just take your breath away for a bit - that or leave you with sleeping issues. Best watched alone, late at night, when you can't sleep.

Contamination: Serve me up a hot dish of delicious 1980's Italian sci-fi horror alien eggs, hold the logic and pile on an extra heaping of gore! Things explode here. Lots of things explode here and once that explosive juice is on you, expect to die an impressive death - much to the amusement of the movie viewers. Pairs with anything that drips and stains your clothes. Best watched in a small group or as a late night delight.

The Cottage: What do you think happens when a kidnapping gone wrong (the kidnapped is not going quietly...) is further disrupted by a killer running loose through the abandoned property? Hilarious, British humor mayhem is what happens - and then some! Bonus! Andy Serkis stars in this film, so everybody wins even if they don't. Pairs with a bumbling best friend that you just can't help but love, and booze.

Death Proof: It's taken me 11 years to finally see this film. I can't believe it took me that long, and I have no reason why, as I mostly enjoy Quentin Tarantino's films. Although the first 60% of the movie is an unusual, albeit, intimate look into the characters that helped shape the film (I didn't mind - I thought it was fun), the last 40% of the film is a Rock Hard EPIC Fest. You cannot take your eyes away from this film's ending. Bad Ass. Pairs with cans of beer, fried food, and whiskey shots with friends.

The Dentist: I've never really had a problem with the dentist, so I approached this expecting some schlocky goodness. It is schlocky goodness but not by much. This is an honestly disturbing story about a man who thrived on power, control and cleanliness, but is loosing all these things and his mind in the process. I was cringing on the couch. I became pretty scared of the dentist for a while there. It's a CRINGE BINGE party for sure. Pairs with little cups of water and chalky food.

Dolly Deadly: I rented this one at the local video store as a VHS tape, thinking it was something from 1987. Nope. It's from 2016. Well played, whoever thought of this. Well played. It worked and works for this film. I popped this one into my VCR and quickly realized that this one is going to feel like a week-long bad acid trip of a fever dream. It is, but it's also an important tale on Don't Be An Asshole To Children. Here we have a story about a truly dysfunctional environment for anyone, let a lone a kind young boy that likes dolls. It gets ugly. Really ugly.

Don't Be Afraid Of the Dark: Not to be confused with the remake from 2010, this is is the original made-for-TV version from the 1970s and it blew my mind. I saw the remake around 2010 and have vague memories of it. This original, however, has left me with more than a few nightmares. If the "He Who Kills" dolls from the made-for-TV Trilogy of Terror movie forever traumatized you, then just pile on the trauma. Keep it company with demons that come out of the fireplace.

Don't Kill It: Someone on IMDB called this one a solid B- movie. I totally agree. It's bad, it's good, but it's also kinda bad. But it's fun. It's really, really fun. Here a demon is jumping from person to person as soon as that person is killed. Things look pretty bad for this town until Dolf Lundgren shows up as the much needed demon hunter, and then it just gets delightfully weird. I opened up a beer at noon on a Sunday and began Tweeting this movie watching experience. Check it out here.

Drag Me To Hell: I honestly wasn't sure what to expect from this blood bath. I also didn't realize it was directed by The Evil Dead genius, Sam Raimi, until after I finished the film and then it all made sense. Everything about this film blew me away, especially the ending. Fun, wild, exciting, gruesome, and with full on Raimi evilness - everyone wins (except, well, some people). Pairs with a small group, late at night, lots of popcorn and curiously mixed drinks.

Enemy: There are only a handful of movies where I jumped back, recoiled in frozen WTF horror during the last few minutes of a film (thus haunting me forever). I can think of just five right now. This is one of them. This super slow-burner is intense and confusing, but engaging and mesmerizing - making the very end an even greater shock for most viewers. This film follows a man who is tracking down his doppelganger. Everything goes wrong. Best watched with twins and pairs with a strong drink.

Event Horizon: This film disturbs me still, nearly 20 years later. My soul feels personally attacked. I can't even say what *exactly * unnerved me, but I have the heebie jeebies every time I see it. Dark, sinister, insane, and maddening, this is not a film to really approach lightly. It's not funny, fun, or light in anyway. Think Alien, but if the crew picked up all of Hell instead of a creature.... watch late at night, alone for best experience.


Frailty: Hot damn this is such a great film. SUCH A GREAT FILM! Best part of this story is that you feel 100% confident that you know what's going on. You got this. You know these weirdos. Take comfort that you do not know these weirdos and you're going to need a cold shower afterwards. Pairs with childhood foods you hated and a cold glass a water tossed in your face.

The Funhouse: Bring on the slashics! I'm not sure why this one is nearly forgotten among the more popular slasher films of the late 1970s and early 1980s, but it's absolutely worth a view! Especially if slashics are your jam! Here we have a bunch of teens who decide to camp out in a spooky carnival ride. Of course things go badly when they see *too much*. Pairs with fried food and drinks that are just wrong (looking at you Zima).

Harry Price: Ghost Hunter: If you're not in the mood for gore or jump scares, and just really want some spooky goodness to curl up to, then might I recommend this delightful British gem. Based on an actual ghost hunter, full of satire, wisecracking comments as well as .... a few spirits ... this is a fun one for a quiet evening. A nice choice for the whole family and bowls of popcorn.

Hell Baby: So I absolutely love Reno 911. If this is not your type of humor then you may not understand this film. I use the word 'understand' on purpose. There's just some absurdist humor that doesn't fit all humor types (I don't understand it - just reporting the facts. Fun fact: I also respond to actual conversations in Monty Python quotes ... so take that for what it's worth). This hilarious marvel is set in New Orleans right after Hurricane Katrina. There is no good reason this should be funny. But it is. You can read more in my review here.

Hobgoblins: To my astonishment, this film currently has a 2 star rating on IMDB. LMFAO. That rating is not wrong (it's also not right), but apparently the raters have never seen trashy 1980s horror films before. This film is so wonderfully trashy I kind of want to re-watch it right now. Not that I need to explain the plot, what little there is, but I would like to stress that since it's a trashy 1988 film, the alien monsters that are trying to take over the planet are things you need to see. Of course a ragtag team of teen misfits are on the case. Pairs with IDGAF evenings with your best crew.

Honeymoon: This one is not for everyone's horror taste. Unsettling and suggestive, I feel this film would prompt a lot of intense discussions about marriage/roles/pregnancy etc, rather than being a straight up horror film. It's pretty scary though - unnerving and bone chilling. It will leave you with more questions than answers. You've been warned.

Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror: Hands down a must see documentary - I recommend for everyone but especially for anyone who even whispers calling themselves a horror fan. Fascinating, informative, educational, and inspiring, it is one of the best horror documentaries I've ever seen. Period.

Howl: As an avid werewolf fan, I know there is a striking shortage of quality werewolf films out there. I honestly didn't have much hope when I turned this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. So much so that I think all werewolf fan's should see this one at least one. It's simultaneously original and not. I'm not sure how this happened. The werewolves are also simultaneously original and not. Also unsure how to handle this. In all, there are enough aspects in this film to draw those blankets closer and keep you out of the woods at night.

The Incredible Shrinking Man: This classic really shocked me. In-depth and engaging, this little (pun intended, groan away) horror story is really rather horrifying - shrinking or not. Tapping into the chaos that is science sometimes, here we have a story that mirrors anyone's horror of fading, fading away as a person in the wake of a deadly health diagnosis. This film begs the question: what if you just kept shrinking, and shrinking, and shrinking.... you might need a hug and a hot shower afterwards.

The Intruder: I won some free tickets to see this one at its screening. The theater was packed with a rowdy pack of people who loved to shout and scream at any shock. I share this because I think that is exactly how this film should be experienced: surrounded by a rowdy crowd that's going to scream all the time and accidentally toss popcorn at you, out of fright. This is a really fun, pulpy thriller. Dennis Quaid is especially frightening! If you love 1990's horror/suspense/thrillers then don't miss this one.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer: And the need for hot showers and a hug keep coming! This one took me a while to appreciate - I didn't like it right away and needed to sleep on it for a few days. Very few films move me this way. This is absolutely not a film for every horror fan, and I will go so far to say many might not even like it. Scathing, savage, and caustic, this film will leave small burns. Although some will argue this is not a horror film, I will continue to argue that yes - some drama is Horror.

Lake Placid: There's no way I can pass up a horror film when I see Betty White is in it. No way. Grab your friends, grab your favorite drinks and snack food, and strap in for a really excellent schlock fest. Make it a double feature by pairing it with Grabbers. Here we have a giant crocodile terrorizing the fine folks visiting Lake Placid. We all know how this is going to end, so sit back and enjoy the adventure.

Mesmerized: First, I would like to point out that this is most certainly a Drama. However, if a film leaves you with more than a few nightmares, I'm going to file it away in the horror section. Second: this film won't give everyone nightmares. I think it's quite possible many people won't like this film, but for those who do will know what I'm talking about when I'm referring to the horror. The story revolves around a child bride and what she is forced to endure in her new marriage to a much older man. There, I'll leave it at.

Monsturd: Someone left a comment on IMDB that indicated they laughed so hard they almost "monsturded their pants". That comment was not left by me, but it fit my situation nicely. Folks, I honest to goodness laughed so hard at this film even I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Extremely clever with a devil-may-care production value and story line, I cannot stress to you how much I was thoroughly entertained by this odd gem. The laughs are not cheep laughs, they're healthy laughs. Fiber-filled laughs.

mother!: Oh my - this one messed me up on so many levels. To make it worse, I have no idea what to tell you about why this one messed me up so bad. I am left without words, except see it. See it at least once. Some will hate it. Some will love it. And some, like me, will not be able to stop thinking about how a lack of a sidewalk to this home flares the anxiety. Pairs with mystery drinks and cold sandwiches. You can read more in my "review" here.

The Nightmare Never Ends aka Cataclysm: This is a weird one. Not especially great, but not one horror aficionados should miss. This is another story about the good fight to rid the world of nazis, but unlike Dead Snow, instead of being zombies - this one, in particular, is about a straight up ageless demon continuing to wreak havoc. Strange, bizarre, unruly, and disjointed, this film would pair best with horror movie daredevils willing to dip their mind in this insanity.

The Ones Below: This creeper really snagged my attention about halfway though when I realized I was not going to know how this was going to end, and that realization was right. Here an unfortunate dinner with the neighbors result in a nightmare for the pregnant host. I've already said too much. Brutal and mind-bending, this one should be watched with steal but patient nerves (not recommended for expectant mothers).

One Dark Night: I honestly don't think you can go wrong with 1980's teenage initiation horror shows. This one is especially great (in my personal opinion) because here is a refreshing break from summer camp slashers and sex-based hijinks. This time we're dealing with a couple of super mean girls who trap a very young Meg Tilly in a mausoleum. Everything is fine. Totally fine. Except the mausoleum is occupied by the dead who are coming back to life...

Overlord: Here's another Hot Damn I Love This Film So Much! As soon as I saw the trailer (which there were few) I knew I needed to see this film. Here we have some American soldiers coming down on fucking nazis right before D-Day. Except these soldiers meet some fucking nazi monstrous creations. Chaos. Chaos that rivals the opening scenes of this film (which almost had me piss my pants, by the way). Pairs with shots - lots of shots and screaming into the faces of nazis. Fuck you guys. You can read more in my review here.

Pet Sematary II: So I'm saying it, I rather enjoyed this film! It's not a terrible film (although the IMDB ratings would say otherwise), just misunderstood. There is one scene in particular, involving a dog and a rocking chair that STILL gives me nightmares. Of course the original is great, but this one isn't that bad and I think all horror fans should give it a shot. So long as you don't constantly compare the two - they are two different entities - then I think you might also enjoy it too. Recommend for lazy weekend mornings.

Pontypool: This film is a getting a little more recognition, finally. Still adding it to the list. With so many of the films I watch, I turned this on knowing very little about it and accepting that I should not expect much. I love being pleasantly surprised. Super original idea too: a radio host is hiding, normally, in their radio hole - reporting on disturbing behavior outside. Things hit the fan when the outside comes in ... There are scenes that will stick with you. Pairs with hot coffee in paper cups.

Prophecy: Move plot: what you do to nature, nature will repay three fold. This one was on my to-watch list for a long time. When I finally saw it a few months ago, I was all like: "Ah yeah, nature. She's about to demolish you for being a dumbass". The creature here is ... something else. Something to see, but also something else. Make it a double feature night with Long Weekend. Pairs with responsible behavior and taking care of the fucking planet.

Rubber: Here we have a movie about a killer tire with psychic abilities. Why should you see it? No reason. There really is no reason to see this movie. It has no point, really. It's not funny, but it is really gory. It's wayward and insane, but also so absurd there is actual entertainment here. This is probably one of the most absurdist films I've ever seen, maybe that's why I'm recommending it. Watch with at least one good friend, for support through this senselessness.

Shanks: Here's another weird one for all you delightful weirdos! One of the taglines: "Deliciously Grotesque" so is very, very apt. Here a deaf mute is tortured by his family and seeks solace as a puppeteer. Revenge ensues... To my utter astonishment and to make this already very strange film even stranger, it stars the famous mime Marcel Marceau and is directed by the late great William Castle. How these two came together I have no idea, but the outcome is something fans of absurd/comedic horror should not miss.

Southbound: I turned this one down for a long time because I hated the poster image. I'm such a judger of poster images. Hard core judger. I'm for hire if you want advice for your horror posters, by the way... I saw this image floating around so many times and it was coming at me from so many different algorithm searches, I decided to give it a try. Those algorithms weren't wrong! It's good madness - fever dream/feeling guilt dreams stuff. In short, people making bad decisions are paying for them. Sit back after your afternoon chores and enjoy the schadenfreude. I still hate the poster, though.

Sudden Fear: Regardless of how you feel about Joan Crawford - have to admit, she was a great actress. This is most certainly more of a thriller than 'horror', unless you look at it from the prospective of the woman... This story revolves around a powerful and happily independent woman who falls for a man with ill intentions. Yikes abound! Totally absorbing and beautiful, this film is a great one to curl up to late at night. Pairs with a friends who save you from bad ideas.

Thirteen Woman: I was made aware of this film by a fan of my Roku channel! I am so glad they did because this film is groundbreaking, stabby, and straight up racy. The story revolves around a woman who was bullied in high school for her race and skin color. By adulthood, she has some supernatural skills and a heart full of revenge. PS: the outfits are AMAZING. Pairs with champagne, resting bitch face, and manicured nails (that could also scratch some eyes out). You can read more in my review here.

Trauma aka House On Straw Hill: This is a strange, meandering, erotic film... I'm not yet sold on the idea that this is one for novice horror fans, but I'm also not sure if this one might kick start the esoteric horror film love. I do know, however, that this is a steamy, uncomfortable revenge mind mess. Pairs with writers block and something best served cold.

Under The Shadow: This one scared me - and the djinn is one of the least scariest aspects about this film. Nightmares are everywhere here: religious nightmares, political nightmares, the loss of freedoms for women and children nightmares, war-torn 1980's Iran nightmares, the list continues into late night conversations. Let's throw a djinn in there too! Stunning in every way, this is one you do not want to miss. Pairs with shag carpets, a deep breath, and white knuckles.

Velvet Buzzsaw: So I really enjoy very strange horror films (if you couldn't tell). The weird kids. Especially the ones that bore or confuse people. These films are my kind of people. This one is no exception! I am an artist and I also began my college years studying art history, so this one is a particular tickler for me. Here we have a story where art and business collide into a catastrophic nightmare for ambitions people. Some might argue this story, although well acted, feels lackluster. There are periods in this film where I agree with that - but I only noticed periods. Pairs with wine in little plastic cups, cheese cubes, and a sassy attitude.

Wait Until Dark: I'll be the first to tell you this is a really decent but very unusual film. Unusual in that it follows a narcotics-stuffed doll that is passed to a random man, who unknowingly brings it home to his recently blinded wife, who must now fight off the drug dealers trying to get the doll back. It's a garbled plot, to a degree, but it's still interesting and Audrey Hepburn is really fantastic in it. The ending is particularly harrowing. Pairs with a dark room.

Watch Horror Films, Keep America Strong!: Another documentary! I received this film as a birthday gift and I can't think of a better gift to give a fellow horror fan, particularly fans of late night horror movie hosts. This documentary follows the San Francisco area late night movie monster fest television show: Creature Features, hosted by Bill Wilkins (and John Stanley). Nostalgia abound if you were in the area at the time of this show, and it's just simply a really fun documentary if you weren't. Pairs with beers, friends, and a late Saturday night.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: The IMDB plot says it all: "A bitter, aging couple, with the help of alcohol, use a young couple to fuel anguish and emotional pain towards each other." This is a terribly, terribly difficult film to watch. Harrowing. It makes your skin crawl, your brain hurt, and you want to run away at every opportunity (much like this young couple). This is also a good case study for complete and total relationship dysfunction, and that's pretty much why it's on this list. The entire movie experience is a complete (real life) nightmare, watch at your own risk.

2 comments:

  1. Always enjoy your lists--and just in time for Halloween. I was surprised to see Virginia Woolf at the bottom of your list as it is one of my all time favorite films. The experience of playing those characters must have been exhausting, although I always wondered if it was an alternate version of their real life romance played out on the screen. Ms. Taylor was certainly brave to play that part, and as always, was brilliant. Great, great movie. After not seeing it for many years, I was excited to see it on TCM, and it still left me with the same gut feeling. You know how you drive past a horrible accident not wanting to see the carnage, and then against your better judgement take a long look only to immediately regret it? That's how I feel after watching that movie. Just too intimate and so deeply sad--emotional carnage. Turning to another subject, I've been dying to see Overlord. Guess I'll have to spring for the free trial on Epix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you enjoy my lists! I have a special fascination with horror stories normally found in he Drama section. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf so chilled me I only want to see it once.

      I can't help but think you'll find Overload on more platforms soon - but I can't argue with free trials. The opening scenes still make me loose my absolute mind. Military horror stories strike me as as especially scary - and are my favorite.

      Thank you again so much for your insight and contributions!

      Delete