Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Arachnophobia (1990)

October Challenge Day 6

When I was a teen, I tapped on the screen of my bedroom window, thinking I was knocking out a dirt clot that somehow made its way there.

Nope.

It was a spider's egg nest and all the babes woke up - flying everywhere ON MY BED. I ran out of my room screaming and continued to run around the outside of the house, screaming, for a good hour.

In my early 20's I woke up with something in my mouth. I coughed it out and it was a huge spider. I sat there, paralyzed in bed, staring at this dead monster now in the palm of my hand - that had just been hanging out on my tongue - for I don't know how long. I only remember taking a long shower that day and not speaking of the incident for 10 years.

A few years ago my brother was out camping. Suddenly he felt something crawl into his ear. For a good hour he had to endure this spider that was "scratching around" in his ear. My other brother was able to put a flashlight to his ear and SEE THE SPIDER CRAWLING OUT. It was knocked out of the ear when it got near his lobe. No one was able to find where the spider went or get any sleep that night.

Spiders. They are scary!!

I saw Arachnophobia with my mother and brothers in the theater when it first came out and we loved every second of it.


I don't have a fear of spiders, per say, but I will NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE my way out of encounters. Occasionally I'll throw things. Especially with the giant house spiders here in Washington state. Folks, they are so big here:

YOU CAN HEAR THEM WALKING AROUND

And yet, I love this film so much. 

It had been years (decades?) when I turned this on, on a sunny, crisp weekend morning and I couldn't think of a better choice. Fun, lighthearted, original, and smart, this is a great choice for having on in the background or a family movie night. 

The story is sweet and simple: A rare, very poisonous spider makes its way to a rural U. S. town - people begin dying and townsfolk blame the new doctor (who's from the city!). This film feels like a cozy flannel blanket, a great soup, a favorite Halloween scare.

Highly recommended for all audiences, and paired best with sodas, popcorn, and boxed snacks. Make this a family favorite, trust me.

I watched this on HBO. Use the Find It. Watch It. links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this extremely creepy crawly feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment