Monday, October 28, 2019

I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)

October Challenge Day 26

Saturdays are MADE for classic movies - day or night. You would also expect that with a title like I Married a Monster from Outer Space, you'll be diving into some full on cheekiness. And you are ...  a little, but not really. Let's just say that if you enjoy I Bury The Living then you'll enjoy this one. 

 

And check out these two ballsy tag lines: "Is it possible? Is it true? Can humans mate with MONSTERS?" and "Shuddery things from beyond the stars, here to breed with human women!".

Whenever I hear someone refer to people as breeders, or 'breeding' in general, or even 'mating' I cringe. Imagine saying to someone: "Do you want to mate with me?" or "Hello, let's breed." Get right out of town, creeper. Gross.

This film did surprise me though, for many reasons. For one, it's well done! Not cheep, not cheesy - actually pretty thrilling. For another, I couldn't shake the feeling of how serious it is for women who do get married to someone who turns out to be, well a monster. You know what happens to them? They get killed.

In this story, however, aliens invade the bodies of all the men so as to 'breed' with human women, so as to continue their race. Get right out of town, creeper. Gross.

You think you know someone.

So, ignore the very '50s creature feature title. Even ignore the poster image - this film is far more serious then you realize when you view it between the lines. It has a lot of symbolization, particularly for women. Dare I say, it may even touch on the topic of how changed some soldiers are after returning from war .... particularly after WWII or the Korean War ... 

In all, this was a prefect film for a Saturday and I was really impressed with how well done it is. Best watched with a small group of your gal pals and pairs with nightmarish 1950 dishes.

I watched this film for free on Kanopy or use the Find It! Watch it! links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can find this cringe binge of a feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment