Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Imprint (2007)

October Challenge Day 8

I was searching for a paranormal-based movie when I stumbled upon a film that takes place and is filmed on the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota.

I WAS ALL LIKE:


I was raised in South Dakota, a few hours north of Pine Ridge and in-between the Standing Rock and Cheyenne River Sioux reservations. Land original inhabited by the Arikara.

All my feels were in full force and I knew Imprint had to be watched. Stat.


But first I would like to point out the problem with posters not helping films get the recognition they deserve. You see this one right up there - the REALLY BAD ASS ONE?

Now look at the one being used on streaming platforms:


NO. Even the review in this particular poster hurts my heart: "A spine-tingling plot twist ... every bit as shocking as the one in the Sixth Sense." Reviewers and critics, please. We can all do better than this. *Not saying I like Variety's poster comment either ...

Just look at the first poster and let's move forward.

This story revolves around a Native American woman working to prosecute a very young Native American man in a murder case. She wins and many on the reservations are upset - a betrayal, especially when this young man (who many believe is innocent) is killed in prison. She retreats home to spend time with her very ill father.

I'm detailing these first 10 minutes of the film because they play a crucial role later, and I saw a few reviewers on IMDB who said they turned it off after the first 10 minutes [eye role]. I'm also detailing these first 10 minutes because I'd like to stress that although it plays a crucial role later, the rest of the film is about her, family, and the wide open prairie - and I just have to leave it at that. Well, about her, family, the wide open prairie and really impressive spirits haunting her childhood home.

With a nice amount of strikingly original scary moments and a solid amount of quiet intrigue, this is a concrete supernatural thriller. What I found most touching and perhaps others may not understand (or find serious) are the times our troubled lawyer goes riding around on a horse.

If you have not watched a tornado tread across the land in front of you, stood in the middle of a blizzard and screamed at it for about a half hour, or had to gather your animals (looking at you chickens) from the neighbor's place up the way, then these scenes may not make sense. For this film and these scenes, I stood up and pointed a finger at the TV, saying "That's RIGHT!" This film is every bit made and filmed in South Dakota.

Great for a quiet evening alone or with an intimate group, I highly recommend checking out this phantom. It's haunting on multiple levels and I'm saying that as a South Dakotan and appreciator of quality ghost stories. I'm also going to stress that if you are not familiar with the tribes and reservations of South Dakota, that you educate yourself. Try here and here for starters.

Pairs with water and hearty food made by loving hands.

I watched this film on Amazon. Use the links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this hidden gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment