Wednesday, October 2, 2019

The Thing (1982)

October Challenge Day 2:

I was chatting with a neighbor recently. She relayed how she enjoys falling asleep to classic black and white spooky movies.

I said, fondly: "Yeah, I love falling asleep to the original The Thing.

Her head shot back and responded, shocked: "Wow, you're hard core".

I made it worse by looking off into the distance and adding: "It just makes me think of family."


Folks, this movie is an institution with our family. We live, breath, speak this film. When the whole family is together we usually end up playing the board game (The Thing: Infection At Outpost 31) until late into the evening (2 AM is not out of the question). So when I said I like to fall asleep to this film and it makes me think of family, I'm referring to wonderful memories and happy times.

I will admit, we are also somewhat of an odd but lovable family. 

To kick off this year's October Challenge, instead of starting the movie binge with a film I have never seen (usually the case), I curled up into bed, snug as a bug, and joyfully began watching this classic.

This film is so much fun. It's rowdy, weird, gruesome, and oh oh oh so quotable. The plot follows a research crew in Antarctica who are carrying on with business as usual until an alien that crashed landed there countless years ago, is awakened. A shape shifting alien...

Folks. I feel it's important for you to know that the special effects in this film are absolutely spectacular. No matter how many times I watch it, when the creature makes an appearance my jaw drops.

I'm actually having a hard time trying to provide a review of this film, because how can you type up a movie review of your heart? So, instead - this will be more of some sort of shape-shifting ode for my love of the film:

Clark, you sketchy dude you. I love how you call it how it is. It is weird and pissed off whatever it is. Amen.

Nauls, you have no idea how I hard I laugh out loud when you suggest we might be at war with Norway. Love your skates.

Dr. Cooper, thank you for reminding everyone that Norway and Sweden are two different countries.

MacReady, I really love how you're casually carrying around a whiskey bottle, taking sips here and there through the beginning of the film. It's just, it just - my heart swells. I can't explain it. 

Childs - oh Childs. Thank you for never taking shit. I heart your sparkling flame-throwing personality.

Blair, what can I say. You called it first. You knew what was coming. You can't come back inside though. You have to stay outside.

To the rest of the research crew: Thank you. Thank you for turning into a shape-shifting alien (or fighting it) for my total entertainment.

HEART YOU


Pairs with flamethrowers, whiskey, snack food served in petri dishes, and a few trusted individuals. Best watched on a cold night.

I own this film. Use the links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can watch this monumental feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment