Thursday, October 17, 2019

Cast a Deadly Spell (1991)

October Challenge Day 14

Folks, I absolutely could not take the poster for Cast a Deadly Spell seriously, when I first saw it - still can't.


It physically pains me just looking at it.

I need to get movie poster help - I really get so hung up on them... 

Damnit! This poster hurts my eyes!!!


MOVING ON

This is a story about magic, demons, an evil dark other world, and greed in exotic 1940's Los Angeles, where everyone uses magic to get ahead. So let us welcome tough nut, hard talking, no nonsense gumshoe: H. P. Lovecraft, who is hot on the case of the missing Necronomicon!

Folks, I am a fan of Lovecraft's monsters and mayhem but I am not a fan of the racist monster he was. Not. A. Fan. This film incorporates the famous monsters and magic, but it's also *painfully dated*, particularly regarding race and the LGBTQ+ community. 

This is simply a very strange and often confusing film on many levels - it feels like an alien trying to walk around in a human suit. There is an especially frightening creature that pops out of a cooking pot though! Bonus points there.

In all, I had a lot of sighs but also a lot of, WTAF (can't look away). 

Probably best watched in a group and on a lazy afternoon. Pairs with whiskey drinks and ... that's probably about it.

I watched this film on HBO. Use the links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can find this monster madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment