Saturday, October 26, 2019

Murder by Television (1935)

October Challenge Day 24

The title of this film was the only reason I watched it - well, that and the year it was made.

Beloved Bela Lugosi stars in Murder by Television as two people, twins!! And what's this about killer televisions?


Not dissimilar to the thriller, Sorry Wrong Number - and well, any horror film that incorporates the horrors of modern technology - this one ties in the latest marvel of home televisions with a bonus who-done-it.

This is a quiet, slow film though. Absolutely not for all horror fans (I thought the TV was going to be more of a killing machine. It's not) but it is for fans of the classics, particularly if you love having them on in the background or curling up to them in the evening before bed. 

The story revolves around a scientist who is reluctant to sell his amazing new TV technology. He dies, suspiciously - mystery ensues. So not 'horror' but certainly a spooky mystery. I love this sh*t.

What I loved most about this film is when they reveal this new amazing technology - the ability to see the world in real time, on a tiny screen, instantly, from anywhere. And there I was on my phone at the time and I *might* have been arguing about something with a stranger or I was loving on a cat who lives halfway across the world. 

Technology! Love you, you clever devil. 

Again, this is a film for classic film lovers, late night non-horror lovers, and curling up on cold nights. It's slow, quiet, and mediocre but quaint. 

I watched this film on Amazon Prime. Use the Find It. Watch It. links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can see this spooky TV feature. 

2 comments:

  1. your the best review yet. I read stuff from grumpy unimaginative so called "critics" who just did not get the fun of this film Visionary stuff comes from the oddest sources sometimes; perhaps even accidental. That is the lesson I got from reflecting on "Freaks", one of the most significant of USA political films, ever.
    .......eddie ytuarte (Oakland, CA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freaks is a FANTATSIC film!!! Ground breaking, I would say.

      Delete