Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)

October Challenge Day 11

The dark, damp, Pacific Northwest winter is creeping in already - and this calls for some dark, damp, black and white classics!

Sorry, Wrong Number was a local library find and it took me a good week+ to get to it, knowing I needed just the right day/evening for it.

The day has come.


I first would like to talk briefly about this poster. I honestly didn't see this image until I started typing up the review.  Having now seen the film, I'm quite disturbed by the blatant slap the man is about to make. 

The blatant slap is disturbing ANYWAY

Once you see the film, you might also see what I'm finding so disturbing about it (movie wise).

Again, the blatant slap is disturbing ANYWAY

Now, on to the film. First and foremost, you'll almost always find this film in either the Drama or Thriller section. It's on my horror list because it's strikingly nerve-wracking and - 

 really disturbing ANYWAY

The story revolves around a difficult ... disturbed (?) woman who is waiting for her husband. It's late, he's not called, and she's on the phone trying to find him. She's in bed, late at night, and the phone clutched to her hand and face is hauntingly similar to how we cling to our modern phones... 

And that's when she overhears through a mixed line, a plot to kill a woman. Things spiral into an insane story from there.

Like many thrillers and film noirs of its time, it's fast - super fast. Snappy and convoluted, you need to pay attention to it at all times. I had to rewind every time I looked away or got distracted by my phone.

The very ending of this film is extremely striking. Dare I say, extremely scary. It's going to stick with me for a long, long time. 

Watch on a dark, damp night and keep your rotary phones close (I do. I seriously have a rotary phone. It sits in the kitchen). Pairs with strange 1940s recipes and uncomfortable but great looking sleepwear.

I rented this film from my local library. Use the links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can find this real creeper.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say--I had a really cool Mom! No PG ratings in my house. I remember watching this either sprawled on the couch with Mom and with Dad sitting on the floor or at the drive-in movie theater where my sister and I were expected to fall asleep in the back seat--but never did. I remember watching lots of what was considered "adult" rated movies in those days that are quite tame compared to today's ratings at one of the three drive-ins that bordered our fairly small town. I don't think Dad even thought about it as long as we were entertained and didn't whine about it. It was during that time I developed my love for movies and the thrill of being terrified. I guess as long as I didn't have nightmares, everything was fair game. LOL

    ReplyDelete