Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings (1993)

October Challenge Day 17

So I love, Pumpkinhead. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I walked into the second installment, Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings knowing it couldn't possibly be as good as the first one, but I was in the mood for some schlock on a sunny afternoon and this one sounded good.


The film opens with some kids from the 1950's roughing up a defenseless young man with a wide variety of physically obvious difficulties. 

This *past experience* is relayed in black and white film. 


But I forgive! I knew it was going to be schlocky so - chill, Jolie. From there I continued with my work while this one played in the background. 

Most certainly an early '90s film in all possible clothing and hairstyle ways, I eventually warmed up to the film and found the story of these rowdy teens 'accidentally conjuring up a locally known demon' endearing.

More endearing still (since that is hallmark of the original Pumpkinhead story) are the ties to family and loyalties to the rural southern area - as well as the love and heartbreak people experience for their loved ones. Bonus! Pumpkinhead makes many more appearances! More so than the original. 

Unfortunately for me, appearances of Pumpkinghead usually comes with a lot of flashing lights (lightning, a massive amount of lightning - even on a calm, quiet evening). Folks, as much as I love Pumpkinhead, I don't think I've seen it since I had a pretty serious surgery on my head that has since effected my hearing and balance. For reasons that continue to baffle me, since this surgery, I go into a straight up panic around flashing lights. 

For those who should not be around flashing lights for reasons related to seizures, please be warned. I had to turn around/leave the room/close my eyes - the flashing is fierce! MUCH TO MY GREAT SADNESS! 

Pumpkinhead is such an excellent monster and I wanted to see more of it. Sadly, I could only hear it. And by that I mean hear the kids screaming.

:(

The film is cheeky, quaint, and delightfully weird - and if flashing lights do not bother you, then you get a great amount of Pumpkinhead scenes. Overall, this is a fun film with friends during the day or night, and pairs well with foods that are bad for you.

I watched this film on Hulu. Use the links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can find this classic story told in a less serious or sad way than the original - but still endearing. Cheesy and endearing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment