Friday, October 26, 2012

No Telling (Or, The Frankenstein Complex) (1991)

I believe I've said this before, but one of the most interesting things I've discovered during this October Challenge is that I'm taking a second look at movies that normally would have passed right under my radar.

In two words: no telling. There is no telling what I'll discover and that is exciting to me.

I'm forcing myself to look for films I've never seen and have barely heard of, and in return I'm discovering new elements of horror story writing, directing, and acting. This is good for everyone, right? (say yes). 

I know! For tonight's film, I was really drawn to the cover. It's unique - initially your eyes are focused on a concerned face but then pulled to the bottom of the cover where you wonder what in the world is going on with this guy and what appears to be a dog...and their fighting over...what IS THAT? Who knows! You'll have to watch the movie to find out. From the cover you can tell that it's obviously not a tale about ghost goons, creepy children, psychopathic inanimate objects, or creatures from the mist. Nope, can't figure it out - there is just no telling!

Clever, very clever. Way to pique some interest. Okay, and now I'll stop with puns.

Seriously, I've enjoyed this challenge. Though the good films and the bad. But now on to No Telling (Or, The Frankenstein Complex)


The Village Voice calls it "Smart, Spare, Skewed." 

L.A. Weekly calls it "BLATANT ROMANTICISM...Fessenden re-inscribes classic horror conventions, commenting on everything from the clash and collusion of science and art to the beauty and horror of creation (filmic and otherwise) to the sadness of ephemeral love...BURSTS OF GRAND GUIGNOL HUMOR."

Jay Carr of the Boston Globe calls it "This sexual, political, and environmental thriller has got a hold of something and its commitment gives it impact."

No Telling is also from the director of Habit and Wendigo (this is very very intriguing to me, I've not seen either of these movies and that is a shame!)

So now I'm all confused and excited. Perfect. But first, I'm off to a fancy restaurant for dinner with a birthday girl. 

Suggested pairing: Martinis and French appetizers. Here we go :)

Update:

This is a very disturbing film. It's slow, quiet - it creeps. Certainly not a film for people who like action in their  horror stories. Absolutely a film for people who dig psychological thrillers. Animal lovers: enter at your own risk.

This movie dives deep into unsettling questions about relationships, science, and their impact on not only the immediate environment but also society as a whole. The ending chilled me, CHILLED me. Warning: you can not unsee what is shown at the end of this film.

I highly recommend this movie for people who work in research, activists, and Frankenstein fans.




No comments:

Post a Comment