Friday, October 9, 2015

Curse of Chucky (2013)

October Challenge Day 9:

Every once in  a while you encounter that horror movie you laugh at even before you've even read the synopsis.

Cure of Chucky is one of those movies for me. Drained out killer doll story, right? Everyone knows Chucky, what more can be said....?


Well, here's why I'm watching it tonight (in no particular order):

#1: My Husband does not like horror movies - but he liked the idea of this one.
#2: Trailer was awesome.
#3: It comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
#4: Critics loved it
#5: You think you know the Chucky story? You don't, apparently.

I was beset on multiple sides. I've already seen a killer doll story this week. Harmony should be kept in a house of non-horror-movie-fans, Chucky is good and bad at the same time...and it is till early in the month...

I'm watching Chucky because I think I'll encounter something I'm not expecting. That is the heart of the horror story, is it not? It's also Friday night and this seems like a great Friday night film.

So here we go, folks! Cure of Chucky!  See you after the film! Good luck to you all...

Update!:

I'm getting sick. I could barely keep my eyes open past 8:30 last night, slept for nearly 12 hours and I still don't feel good! That is why last night's movie review update is being posted today and not last night. But it doesn't matter to those of you reading this review years from now...

In any case! I was able to make it through the movie!! I think this is an October Challenge record, ten days in and I haven't fallen asleep to a movie once.

Okay, review time: This is not your typical Chucky horror movie. Wait. That is not an accurate statement I can make - I've only seen the first Chucky film (Child's Play) and then this one. But you only need to have seen the first one to really understand this one!

Curse of Chucky is an intimidating and ominous horror film. Chucky is mostly in the background, silently doing his creepy doll thing while the sibling rivalry, infidelity, and down-right spooky house plays a larger role throughout the film.

Although Chucky is as evil as ever, in this movie the viewer is given a reason for it - sorta. Well, enough reason to say, "Ohhhhhh, I see!"

The story starts out with a couple of ladies who find a creepy doll anonymously delivered to their doorstep - and they bring IT IN THE HOUSE. Folks, we've learned this lesson already in my review of Dead Silence

Oh well for them, entertaining horror movie for me! 

Although still a little absurd, there's really no cheesy moments here, no slapstick, limited wisecracks, and a very little blood. Chucky is still hellbent on death and destruction, but now the only person trying to stop him is a young lady in a wheelchair.

I enjoyed the film very much. It's dark, somber, full of shadows and thrills. I can see why the critics raved about it (it's a well made horror film) and I can see why Chucky fans were conflicted (when you think of Chucky this is not what you'll be expecting).

An absolutely great film for a dark and stormy night. Best watched alone or with a small and silent group. Pairs with wine, soup or soupy pasta. For sick days I recommend a Chucky marathon (be sure you get to this one by nightfall):

Child's Play (1988), Child's Play 2 (1990), Child's Play 3 (1991), Bride of Chucky (1998), Seed of Chucky (2004).

I saw this film on Netflix streaming. Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this killer doll feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment