Friday, October 30, 2015

Eyes Without A Face (1960)

October Challenge Day 30:

My brother came over yesterday and surprised me with a movie that has long been on my To Watch list:


I know in my review of Inside I said it would be several more years before I see another French Horror film again, but I made an exception for this. I had to and I knew it.

Here we have the daughter of a genius medical doctor. Unfortunately for her (and others) she is hideously disfigured in a car accident. The doctor, out of "love" for his daughter does what ever he can to restore her beauty... It should come as no surprise that things get more ugly as the story progresses.

This is a truly remarkable and ground-breaking film. It's also incredibly poetic and deeply disturbing (in a classy French Horror way).

I loved this film for it's creepy crawly climax and it's striking and startling moments of bone-chilling terror. This is a very unsettling film - it hits the visual version first (gently but sternly) and then dives deep into the mind were it burrows incessantly (ah, French Horror, you never disappoint with the mind melty burrowing).

There is a face transplant scene here that was incredibly difficult to watch, not because of gore but because of the lack of it. Also, the cinematography, costumes, and settings all play an important role for building the terror that finally ends in beautiful black and white horror.

I love this movie!

Perfect for a late, quite night alone or in a very small group. Pairs with a cascade of blankets, flowing dresses, or just a stiff and unnaturally bright white outfit. Small plates of light French dishes, or just cheese, wine, and crackers.

My brother owns this movie and I was so glad he shared it. Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this beautiful but gorgeously ugly feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment