Tuesday, October 20, 2015

House of Evil aka Dance of Death (1968)

October Challenge Day 19:

I know what you're thinking - but today's the 20th! True, but I watched this movie yesterday and simply couldn't write a review about it yesterday. Here's why:

This is the type of movie you tune into after a long but fun day with friends and family. It's dark, it's late, but you're hungry and not yet tired. You turn on the TV, start flipping through channels, and then you stumble upon a unfamiliar classic (not classic) playing on a channel you never pay attention to.

Your first thought: WHAT IS THIS MONSTROSITY?

Your second thought: SWEET! WATCHING IT NOW!

Now you're settled into the couch or bed, lights are off, happy belly, everywhere it's quiet, peaceful and perfect, now the eyes are drooping - life couldn't be cozier or more oddly entertaining.

Then you fall asleep to the sweet sweet sounds of comically overacted damsels in distress or men in dinner suites trying to fight each other. You wake up refreshed and think back fondly of that odd little movie you watched the night before. You can't recall what in the world it's about - it doesn't matter - but you'll always watch it when it's on TV and the time is right again.

House of Evil (or as my DVD case calls it: Dance of Death) is THAT movie.

I also have a little crush on Boris Karloff - I'll watch anything he's in.


I was pretty sure I knew exactly what I was getting into when I popped this one in the DVD player - and I savored every second of it. Until I fell asleep. I made it through the entire movie and then fell asleep the second the credits hit. I slept so well I had a really hard time waking up this morning (this is odd - I usually hop out of a bed, literally, and start the day running).

I don't recall every aspect of this film, mostly because it's so strange and I was getting so tired, but I do remember that spooky Karloff gathers his relatives over to his massive mansion to talk "business". Karloff suddenly dies and his toy collection begins to kill off all his family members, one by one.

You read all that right, folks! His toy collection start to pick off his remaining family members! The dancing Sikh doll is especially vicious ... and oddly unnerving.

This is a very strange film. Very strange. It also does not fall into the So Bad It's Good category. It's a '60s psychedelic mind trip. It's neither good or bad. It is its own beast and best appreciated in a quiet place where you can be left alone with your thoughts.

I guess I can't stress enough how much I enjoy the Entire Experience of late night odd horror movie watching with just myself and a cozy setting for company. I imagine it's how some people feel about a fine glass of super expensive liquor, or a long hot bath after a long hard day, or even standing atop a cliff you just crawled up (that may actually be a stretch, but roll with it). In all, it's a personal experience that brings a super happy and satisfied smile on your face - Just Because.

Watch this one alone, on a quiet late night when you have nothing else to think about expect getting into your pajamas and relaxing the rest of the day away. Pairs with your favorite food and beverages.

I rented this movie from my local video store. Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find pleasantly odd feature.

2 comments: