Thursday, October 15, 2015

King of the Ants (2003)

October Challenge Day 15:

Halfway though the month and I FINALLY made it to the local video store!

After work I hopped on my hot-pink Free Spirit bike (that my mom bought for my 13 year old self back in 1992 - just found it in her basement and now I ride it everywhere - I know you're jealous) and cruised on over to Rain City Video. This is where, in true Horror Habit October Challenge fashion, I select my completely random pick of horror movies for the week.

I love this - the ride through the crisp air, the colorful leaves, the Halloween decorations around the neighborhood, the friendly neighbors who shout at you as your ride by (today's was: "Hey! That's a Pretty Bike!" and "I wish I had someone else to blame for this shoulder pain!" - all true folks. These things were actually shouted at me today by complete strangers).

As I was merrily cruising down the quite road, smile on my face and rejoicing in all that is Autumn, I accidentally hit my front break too hard and took a tumble off my bike. Everything is fine, just a little sore, especially the ego.

Two blocks later I pass (now walking) an apparent homeless man, sitting on the sidewalk with a cardboard hand-written sign that reads, "I Need A Fat B**CH". Folks, I have nowhere to put this - assuming he doesn't need a pregnant female dog... Also, Why?

So that's my lesson of the day for you! Sure sure, Fall is GREAT but if you're not careful your love for Fall might become literal AND you might see a sign that puts your brain on the fritz and leaves you with more questions than answers.

Which brings me to tonight's movie pick: King Of The Ants

According to the DVD cover, this movie is about a hard-up hit man who has been double crossed by the man he's working for. Thugs try to take this hit man down but he has a few tricks up his sleeve.


I know this movie and my story of the day don't sound like they should be tied together - but something tells me they are... a little bit...sorta maybe...just roll with it.

So here we go, folks! I'll see you after this show that I suspect promises more than a couple of bloody surprises.

UPDATE!

This movie was a lot more raw and gritty than I was expecting - but I nailed the bicycle reference! A little, there was quite a bit of bicycling.

I thoroughly enjoyed the dialogue and the acting was downright well done. I have to complain about some of the shots and costume choices though. Actually - JUST the scene right before the home invasion. I could not buy the hitman's helmet or him walking down the middle of the street in the outfit of choice. I laughed there and I don't think I was supposed to - was I? Maybe I was...this movie is clever...

Although not the blood bath I was expecting, the torture is painfully real and a bit hard to watch. Gripping and dare I say captivating, in all this is a well done horror movie! Honest, hard, unapologetic, and brutal - a surprisingly good horror show.

Pairs with a small group, cheep beer, and an unidentifiable pasta dish. The redder (and meatier) the better.

I  recommend this movie for anyone looking for an indie revenge horror flick they've never heard of. This one is a surprise and has more than one trick up the sleeve.

I rented this movie from my local video store. Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find unsettling feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment