Monday, October 13, 2014

Seeding Of A Ghost (1983)

So today is Columbus Day, also known as Indigenous People's Day, also known as that holiday I keep forgetting about but work is paying me to sit on the couch all afternoon so I'm not complaining too much.

I am not a fan of Columbus. I'm glad the focus of this day is changing to recognize the horrors inflicted by Columbus and his peeps, and celebrate Native American cultures, rather the praise a narcissistic man who was totally and completely lost. 

SO, what to do today, what to...do...

First thing I did was flip open the local drug store flyer to see what was on sale. Here is an actual conversation I had with my husband before the coffee was even brewed: 

Me, standing in the middle of the living room in my PJs, flipping through the flyer. Flipping stops abruptly: "OH MAN!"

Mike, sitting at the computer catching up on world news. Quickly turns around at the sound of my shock/horror/can't tell what't going on voice: "What - what is it, something wrong?"

Me: "o.b. tampons are on sale!"

Mike, turns back to the computer: "My sweet pea... that's nice."

Me: "No! You Don't Understand! These are NEVER on sale. Just never. Oh Man... " I return to flipping. 

A Few Seconds Later...

Me "Oh My Gawd!"

Mike, not turning around this time: "What?"

Me: "10 pound bag of cat litter is only $1.79!! $1.79!!"

Mike: "That's good."

Me: "$1.79....I'm going shopping today..."

Seriously, folks. The excitement in this house never stops. Especially when there's a good deal to be found. 

Once the local drug store "Columbus Day Sale" hullabaloo settled down, things returned to normal. I went to my collection of Rain City Video rentals and picked out today's film: Seeding Of A Ghost aka Zhong gui.


Now, let me just relay to you what the back of this DVD case has relayed to me: 

"Possession, exploding bodies, zombie mayhem and gross-out shocks aplenty await you in the most extreme Hong Kong cult film of them all! Following the prediction of a dark magician, the unfaithful wife of a Hong Kong cab driver falls victim to a pair of murderous thugs. Outraged, the cabbie arranges supernatural vengeance with the aid of an unholy union between the dead. Never released in America due to its taboo subject matter, this mind-melting Asian answer to The Evil Dead has stunned viewers for years in low-quality gray-market editions and now makes it long-awaited American debut!"

That's right, I'm spending this gruesome holiday afternoon watching a foreign film that was too disturbing for American viewers. So, without further ado (because I gots to get my shopping on later), let's get this mind-melting Asian answer to The Evil Dead on the road! See you after the show!

UPDATE

I don't know what you think you know about horror movies, Asian horror movies, or exploitation films, but I assure you - you've never seen anything like this.

If you can think of it, it's probably in this film. For instance: Haunted looking mansion? Check. Comically Large Matchsticks? Check. Sexual violence? Check. Police force without uniforms - only little IDs to represent they are a police officer? Check. Bad ass fight scenes? Check. Miami Vice attire? Check. Demon birth? Check. Epic battle between Good Priests and Bad Priests? Check. Check. Nudity? Check. Constant gambling? Check. Necrophilia? Check. Revenge? Check.

In all, total and complete loss of sanity (as a viewer)?


Check.

This film is absolutely not for everyone. It's gross, it's wrong, it's so over-the-top that you need to go in mentally and emotionally prepared. I wasn't even sure if I should relay the trailer for this film....but I will.

Please do not watch the trailer at work or in front of little ones that do not have the mental capacity to understand complete and total human chaos.

But before I show the trailer, I would just like to say that this is a great Extreme horror film. I'm not sure if anything like this can be recreated again, so I'm glad someone got this one made before the '80s ended. And now I want to watch all the Shaw Brother's stuff. It will only take me about 20-25 years, but I can do it.

I present to you, the trailer of the Shaw Brother's production: Seeding Of A Ghost. You have been warned!



Happy Columbus Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment